Too old.

The 30-06 isn't too old,it was just born before it's time.With modern rifles, powders,bullets,it's better than it ever was.I often wonder if it was introduced today as a new cartridge,no telling what it's popularity would be.Once I started loading for it,I grew a great appreciation for just how good it is.
My story is pretty much the same. Growing up I never liked the 30-06 mostly because a whole lot of people older than me had one. Seemed like everybody had one. Then later on in life I started loading for it and realized why so many people had one. It's just a great cartridge and works.

I wouldn't necessarily say it's my favorite cartridge if I was just asked on what cartridge I enjoy shooting the most, but it has a big and permanent spot in my favorites list. I've shot it a lot and am comfortable and at home with it on the loading end. I like its flexibility, I like its long history, I like how it doesn't ever seem to balk at whatever work load you ask it to do. It fits my style and me and the 30-06 always seem to get along.

My story is pretty much the same. Growing up I never liked the 30-06 mostly because a whole lot of people older than me had one. Seemed like everybody had one. Then later on in life I started loading for it and realized why so many people had one. It's just a great cartridge and works.

I wouldn't necessarily say it's my favorite cartridge if I was just asked on what cartridge I enjoy shooting the most, but it has a big and permanent spot in my favorites list. I've shot it a lot and am comfortable and at home with it on the loading end. I like its flexibility, I like its long history, I like how it doesn't ever seem to balk at whatever work load you ask it to do. It fits my style and me and the 30-06 always seem to get along.
Hard to argue with success and satisfaction. Dan.

Great rifles. I worked over the stock on one for a friend. 30-06 which had been his father's. Under the grip cap was a neatly written paper with Dad's name, phone, and address! Friend was thrilled, and so was I!

Great rifles. I worked over the stock on one for a friend. 30-06 which had been his father's. Under the grip cap was a neatly written paper with Dad's name, phone, and address! Friend was thrilled, and so was I!
That's very cool 😎

JD338

I love my Savage 116 30-06! She now wears a 2.5x10x42mm Nightforce NXS compact. Also bedded in a B&C stock. She shoots 162 gr Absolute hammers at 3050 fps with Varget and accuracy is always under .75"/100 yards.

Attachments

• 3006_optimized.jpeg
    3006_optimized.jpeg
    66 KB · Views: 6
The book “One Man, One Rifle, One Land” pretty much sums it all up.
I just finished reading the thread listing Townsend Whelen’s list. Of the animals on the list I have taken, I’ve taken them with my old .30-06, that’s all I had so that what I used and never had a reason to question it. I inherited my first one and later I bought and/or sold some others but it was the first one that I took to Africa-it work d great, just like it always has!IMG_6085.jpeg

Good stuff above on the 30-06. Here's another one that has been easy going with whatever I try with it. Just goes along with the program and makes life easy. It's a peep sighted 7600 so I don't expect scoped results, but it does well.

First target is at 100 trying a load that shot well in a Sauer 101. The 3 shot group is just under 3/4" with the 4th shot making it 1 1/8".

Next is a first time test trying 180 RN with it. Shot at 50 yds to try and eliminate human error. Again runs at 3/4" MOA right out of the box. I like this rifle and killed one deer with it last yr.

The issue I see with the 30-06 is factory ammo. You only gain 100 fps over the 308 Win for given bullet in factory ammo and in a long action. For handloaders 30-06 offers magnum performance as Jim mentions.
I don't think so. Granted this is only a short test of one brand of ammo and one bullet weight but the outcome was sort of a surprise.

The test: Compare the velocity of the 180 gr. Winchester Power Point ammo in .308 Win. vs 30-06 in rifles with 22" barrels

Rifles used: Winchester M70 Youth Ranger 22" barrel and JC Higgins M59 30-06.

The test: Five shots over the chronograph at 100 Yard target.

Results: The .308 Win. beat out the 30-06 by 30 FPS. Average velocity for the .308, 2630FPS. For the 30-06, 2610 FPS.

Accuracy at 100 yards was 1.5" in a combined group.

For spits and grins I also shot 5 shot groups from a 24' and 26" 30-06. One a custom Mauser with 24" Barrel, and the other a Ruger #1B with 26" barrel The Mauser did 2660 FPS and the Ruger 2710 FPS for their averages. I didn't record group size for the latter two rifles as I know how they shoot with my handloads.

You'll note that the only 30-06 rifle that came even close to factory advertised velocity has a 26" barrel. I've long thought that the 30-06 was deliberately kept a bit lower in power was because of the many low numbered 1903 Springfields and worn out 1895 Winchester that may still be in use. I can run a 180 gr. Hornady SP to a little over 2850 FPS with the stiff load of H4350 with reasonable accuracy,

My point was unless you run whatever factory ammo you prefer to find out, you just may not be getting he velocity you think is there.
PaulB.

My 30/06 with Hornady Superformance chronographed about identical, to my friends 300 H&H that was shooting standard factory loads. Of course the H&H could be loaded to trim the 06, BUT with Superformance in an 06 you really have a LT Magnum......... believe it or not, as Ripley would say!
E

My 30/06 with Hornady Superformance chronographed about identical, to my friends 300 H&H that was shooting standard factory loads. Of course the H&H could be loaded to trim the 06, BUT with Superformance in an 06 you really have a LT Magnum......... believe it or not, as Ripley would say!
E
Reloader 22 is supposed to get the 30/06 heavy bullets whirling at high speeds as well.

But do you still get accuracy? Not arguing, just a question.
165 gr is the heaviest I load in an -06. I have other rifles for heavier bullets and I suspect most people now days do as well.

Original specs for the.300 H&H Magnum: Standard The cartridge was developed to give 30-06 performance under tropical conditions such as found in Africa. Powder used was cordite which would give higher pressures at high temperatures
British loading.
150 gr. 3,000 FPS
180 gr. 2700 FPS
220 gr. 2350 FPS.

Whoa wait a minute. This is a magnum???? Data is from African Rifles and Cartridges by John Pondoro" Taylor. Interesting book that gives the opinions of an old ivory poacher. I foret the meaning of the word "Pondoro" but IIRC it meant fearless which it was what his native bearers called him. Quite a character and he definitely favors British guns and cartridges. However, if you're offended by the "N" word, be warned he uses it every once in a while when referring to his native help. I believe the American version of the .300 H&H has been hotted up my American manufacturors.
Paul B.

But do you still get accuracy? Not arguing, just a question.
165 gr is the heaviest I load in an -06. I have other rifles for heavier bullets and I suspect most people now days do as well.
the 165s shoot really good out of 30/06 rifles it seems but I have 170 and 180 grains from Nosler and Norma and they all shoot well. I feel the 165 to 180 grain bullets seem to be loved by 30/06 rifles at least mine. I have a CZ550, Steyr, and Win M70 all shooting very well with the 170 and 180 grain bullets.

My CZ550 I have set up with the 170 grain Nosler round nose bullet and the Norma 170 grain Tipstrike with both hitting at same impact point at 100 yards. I'm sure at 400 yards they would spread open that round nose would start dropping fasted than a plastic tipped projectile but hunting woodlands I can use either one without worrying about impact point as 100 yards is max shot for me as that is my largest open area otherwise it's all wooded.

Back