Powders for 165 Grain loads

G

I have no experience in using H4350 Powder, but have some with IMR4350. What are the differences between these two. Is H4350 a ball type powder?
Are the burn rates similar? I see some of the members here have shared they use the H4350 Powder. Can you share why you prefer this powder over some of the others available when loading 165 Bullets?

Thanks,
Don

H4350 and IMR4350 are both single base powders. Each are extruded powders. Each has similar (though not identical) burn rates. H4350 will simply give you another tool in developing your loads. It's burn rate is compatible with a broad range of cartridges, and seems to work especially well with standard cartridges, though it gives good performance in the WSMs as well as a variety of other cartridges. Try it.

I have found good loads with both powders but the H4350 is more stable with temp changes.

Inquiry is for 30-06 load development using 165 Ballistic Tips and/or Accubonds.

Don

Went to the range yesterday doing load work up with 2 different powders. Didn't use 4350, but I got very good results with 2 other powders you might consider. Using the Hor 165 SP and IMR 4320 I got very good accuracy and topped of at 2850fps using Lyman max data reduced 10% and HXPmil brass. Using H414 and Hornady max data reduced 10% and H414 I got extraordinary accuracy at mid range between start and max. and acceptable accuracy at max with a vel. of 2940 fps. That''s a bit on the steamy side even though I got no pressure signs, I will reduce that load 15% prior to any further shooting. Bullets were seated to the cannelure. I will try further testing with a longer COKL and see what happens. I was getting an occasional vertical flyer which is not uncommon for these cases when I have too much bullet jump. If you shoot some .308 class calibers you might consider one of those. If you shoot any of the magnums or 270 type rounds either of the 4350s should be more versatile for you.

Have used a lot of IMR 4350 in my 280 rem. It is a really sweet powder in that application. Haven't tried it in the 30-06 but others have given it good reports. It is not suitable for my '06 loading as one of my criteria is compatability with my M1 Garand.

Polaris,
What is the barrel length you shoot with those loads?

Don

Have used RL 15 and been very pleased watch your brass for pressure and work up...

It doesn't get much better than IMR 4350. H 4350 is also excellent. You can also try IMR 4064, RL 19, and RL 22.

JD338

Ya know, I noticed RL22 listed in the manual and have used it in the past for a 7Mag I had back then. Great powder, surprised to see it listed for a 30-06.

Don

Back