Powders for .308 using 125-150gr bullets?

TN deer hunter

Beginner
Dec 21, 2004
What are some of you guys best loads with 125-150gr bullets. I have RL15 and W748? The Nosler book has 748 as the best when shooting 125gr BT's but doesn't list RL15. However, I have seen alot of reports of RL15 being the best all around in the .308 for most bullet weights.

My book shows RL15 being one of the top powders with 150gr bullets
44gr min, and 47gr max at 2919fps.

My gun likes 47gr of BLC(2), with the 150BT, this is a mid range load with Win Brass and CCI BR primers.

I'm in the same boat as Tn deer hunter as to what powder and bullet size to use in my DPMS .308 1-10 twist. I would like to use Varget with 150 ABs but even mid range loads are compressed. I may try RL-15 for the first time.

I stopped looking when I found how 4064 performed under 150 gr bullets in mine, and was happy enough I never tried other powders.

I have to admit though, I see a argument for both Varget and R15 in every post/forum that discusses the 308 and what works. If I still had a 308 both would also get a chance, just because.

Antelope_Sniper

That me thats worried about compressed loads. The load is for my DPMS AR semi auto .308. I need to watch my OAL since it needs to feed out the mag. Also what about max loads in a semi auto?

Sorry TN I was crosseyed......
My AR likes max loads...I've always the multi-lug rotating bolt of the DPMS looked like a stout setup. For me my FN also seems to cycle better with a nice stout, but within book, load.

Just be extra careful not to blow primers with a semi-auto. If the blown primer doesn't exit the action, while the action cycles and loads a fresh round, it can result in a very unplesant jam.

Just be extra careful not to blow primers with a semi-auto. If the blown primer doesn't exit the action, while the action cycles and loads a fresh round, it can result in a very unplesant jam

I had it happen with Hornady TAP in the DPMS and it SUCKED!

Back