Power outage reading

hunter24605

Handloader
Apr 30, 2016
The power was out for a couple of hours last weekend and It's amazing how quite things become. You really get accustomed to, and for the most part ignore, all the ambient noise in your house from ceiling fans, PC's , TV's, and all sorts of noise making gadgets we live with. Anyway, sitting in all the quite got me to thinking about a book the kids got me that I've never opened up: Lost on Purpose: Adventures of a 21st Century Mountain Man. Patrick Taylor tells the story of him taking off on a quest to follow in the footsteps of Lewis and Clark. I picked it up Saturday morning during the power outage and I've barely put it down. A nice dose of escapism.
https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?as...e=kpe&ref_=cm_sw_r_kb_dp_0CCB2EG6CEQDAWBRYDW7

Last edited:
Reminds me of being in the desert when they would take the gen-sets offline for unscheduled maintenance. Only then do you realize you've been living with a diesel engine a hundred feet away, running 24x7. Gets really, really quiet.

And with no power for the AC, pretty hot, too.

We're in the middle of our monsoon season so storm related power outages are not that uncommon. Wouldn't mind it all that much except no power, no A/C, It doesn't take very long when a thunderstorm moves of for the temperature to go back to over 100* where it was before the storm. Only now it's 100+ with humidity.
Paul B.

Our power is scheduled to go down tonight from 11:00 pm to tomorrow 8:00 am for system maintenance/upgrade. We are planning on enjoying the meteor shower tonight.
We do have generator backup if needed tomorrow morning for my much needed and appreciated coffee.

JD338

Back