Primer packaging

mjcmichigan

Handloader
Dec 26, 2016
Anyone who’s bought 1000 Federal primers and any other brand… Rem, Win, CCI etc

Probably noticed, Federal has hugely oversized packaging.

Today I got 1000 federal 209 primers….

I’m speculating, they used 209 primer to set the standard size for federal primer boxes.

Still way bigger that the cheddite primers I normally use, I’d think if they had an MBA, they’d probably just have two standard sizes. They probably do have more shipping and warehouse costs vs the others..

Anyone an oldtime Federal employee that could explain their logic on packaging?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never thought about this. But the way your thinking about it makes sense to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have been using Federal 210M primers in my Lee Hand Primer for 43 years now and never had any problem.

George Foster":3i2ky6gp said:
I have been using Federal 210M primers in my Lee Hand Primer for 43 years now and never had any problem.
Same here, never had an issue.

JD338

I used several Lee hand priming tools for many years, and I used quite a few Federal primers. I never had a problem. The general scuttlebutt was that Mr. Lee had some major anger issues with Federal. In any case, the pressure of producing data ensured that I was willing to run some risks in order to keep my schedule.

I have never used a tray attached to my Lee Hand Primers, I have the original and a newer one. I just put the primers from the package on my RCBS primer tray I move the primers around till they are all anvil up and then pick them up one at a time and prime the cases.

Back