Primer Question

slipshot

Beginner
Sep 10, 2008
I have seen people talk about one primer being hotter or colder then another. Is there any data showing "burn rate" (for lack of a better term) in different brands of primers? I load large rifle primers so thats the ones I am the most interested in.

Thanks

Winchester Large Rifle Magnum primer is the hotest..According to John Barsness...And he's one guy I believe 100% on everything he writes..

7 STW":gj5alsb8 said:
Winchester Large Rifle Magnum primer is the hotest..According to John Barsness...And he's one guy I believe 100% on everything he writes..

That's interesting. I always thought that the Federal 215 was widely accepted as the hottest large rifle mag primer.

"Hottest" can be defined in different ways when referring to primers. It may be flame temperature, flame duration, or some other factor which would enhance combustion of powder. Probably a combination of primer flash qualities.

Was always under the impression Federal 215 was the hottest myself..Also the standard WLR primer is just as hot as most magnum primers..fwiw

rifle-primer-heat.jpg

I found that list also. The guy used a chrono to see if there was a difference in velocity of a load with different powders.

Its amazing that no one has figured this out yet. It may be splitting hairs but the reason I asked this question (I am sure it wasn't an original thought) is to see if there is some relation in powder burn rate and primer burn rate. I know your sitting there wondering if I fell on my head about now so I will explain. Lets say you are loading a fast burn rate powder......better to use hotter primers or colder? I know a lot depends on your gun but there has to be some "wifes tale" or "loaders secret" that gives a fella a starting point.

I know primers can play a big part in a load........I loaded some 25-06 with 52 grns Reloader 19 and didn't change anything else but primer brands. CCI 200 shot a 1.324 group and WLR shot a .493 at 100 yrds. It was late and my dang chrono wouldn't see the bullets or I would have more information.

In this day and age when there are guys out there splitting atoms and building 1000 yrd tack drivers it looks like someone would have figured a way to "rate" primers.

According to Remington, the Fed215 is the hottest primer avaliable to reloader, but they have a special secret primer they are using in some of their primium Ultra Mag ammo.
I've tried both WMRP and Fed215 with 100+ gr of ball powder in several arrangments, and only the Fed215's seem to have the spark to make them shoot...WMRP's are hot....but I'm inclined to believe the 215's are hotter.

Back