Primers?

Michael C. Smith

Beginner
May 24, 2016
What is everyone's thoughts on primers? I have been using Fed 210. My e.s s.d with my 7mm08 using varget have been good. Using rel 15 that sucked. With my 6.5 creedmoor using the same primers and h4350 they are not good either. 35 to 40 fps e.s on 5 shots. The gun is grouping 3 shots anywhere from 3/4 to less than 1/2 inch which is great but was wondering if a primer swap would get my fps a little more even. Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I use quite a few of the CCI BR primers. They seem to be very consistent.
I have a couple loads I use the Fed Match primers on but those are a little hard to find currently.
On the medium to larger cartridges I use a Mag primer if I'm using a ball powder.
Hope that helps.

Thank you I was considering the cci primers. I need to see if I can get them local.

The other day with my .308, I shot total of 15 rounds, three 5 shot groups. Each of the 5 shot groups had a different primer to check which would be a more accurate and consistent load. Was shooting at 6 inch steel gongs at 300 yards, the Fed210M shot about 2 inches, CCI-200 shot about 1 and half inches while the BR2 primers shot at least .25 MOA @ 300 yards. The 5 shots with BR2 primer was hitting the same splotch on the gong each time. Amazing that primer change can make a little difference.

TackDriver284":3thuw5f6 said:
The other day with my .308, I shot total of 15 rounds, three 5 shot groups. Each of the 5 shot groups had a different primer to check which would be a more accurate and consistent load. Was shooting at 6 inch steel gongs at 300 yards, the Fed210M shot about 2 inches, CCI-200 shot about 1 and half inches while the BR2 primers shot at least a .7 MOA. The 5 shots with BR2 primer was hitting the same splotch on the gong each time. Amazing that primers can make a little difference.
Wow that's a big difference! Think I will give them a shot! How much do you think I need to back off my loads from what I am using with the Fed 210?

Michael C. Smith":357i63jp said:
TackDriver284":357i63jp said:
The other day with my .308, I shot total of 15 rounds, three 5 shot groups. Each of the 5 shot groups had a different primer to check which would be a more accurate and consistent load. Was shooting at 6 inch steel gongs at 300 yards, the Fed210M shot about 2 inches, CCI-200 shot about 1 and half inches while the BR2 primers shot at least a .7 MOA. The 5 shots with BR2 primer was hitting the same splotch on the gong each time. Amazing that primers can make a little difference.
Wow that's a big difference! Think I will give them a shot! How much do you think I need to back off my loads from what I am using with the Fed 210?

The Fed210M is a little hotter than the other primers, you won't need to back off much, I would say about half a grain maybe. Depends on the cartridge. I edited my post above, there was a mis -typo on MOA, meant .25 MOA @ 300 yards not .7 MOA.

TackDriver284":n9vrbw49 said:
Michael C. Smith":n9vrbw49 said:
TackDriver284":n9vrbw49 said:

The Fed210M is a little hotter than the other primers, you won't need to back off much, I would say about half a grain maybe. Depends on the cartridge. I edited my post above, there was a mis -typo on MOA, meant .25 MOA @ 300 yards not .7 MOA.
Ok I am not using Fed 210m. I am using the regular Fed 210. Think I need to still back off half a grain.

The last check I'll make to tighten up a load is switching the primers to see if it shrinks the group. Don't forget to try Winchester, and/or Remington primers in the mix.

FWIW, I only use Federal Match, and/or CCI Benchrest primers since they are supposed to be produced by their best employees.... and/or equipment according to them anyways.

Michael C. Smith":jcafdwgy said:
What is everyone's thoughts on primers? I have been using Fed 210. My e.s s.d with my 7mm08 using varget have been good. Using rel 15 that sucked. With my 6.5 creedmoor using the same primers and h4350 they are not good either. 35 to 40 fps e.s on 5 shots. The gun is grouping 3 shots anywhere from 3/4 to less than 1/2 inch which is great but was wondering if a primer swap would get my fps a little more even. Thoughts?

You're getting great groups and the e.s. is meaningless.

elkhunternm":1iyvq4s7 said:
Michael C. Smith":1iyvq4s7 said:

You're getting great groups and the e.s. is meaningless.
Haha yes you're right!

Are the CCI BR primers hot enough for 300 wm loads?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been using the WLRM primers for everything from 25 06 to 458 Win mag for lots of years. Never have had any problem with them. SD is 9 to 12 fps across the chrony. accuracy is excellent, and I have never had a primer failure.Can't ask for more than that.

I hate it when my suggestions seem to be along the same theme but I can't help myself. Accuracy and velocity are important but so is the intended use of the rifle. If this is a hunting rifle, your current accuracy will more than meet your needs. Few will be missed with a 40 fps disparity, nor will the intended target be able to feel the difference. I have loaded for the 300 WM for over 40 years now, and have used CCI Magnum primers predominately. The rifle likes them and I have been successful on a number of animals with my off the shelf rifle with H-4350 and Nosler Partition bullets. I don't own a chronograph, and have never measured the speed of my hand loads, but my success has been consistent and that has been proof enough for me.

Back