primers

If you do this, back down 10% and work up again. Magnum primers are useful for lighting off large charges of ball type powder, but don't offer much in the way of help in other cases. I use them in some guns, not in others. Check the manual your data came from and see what primer they used. Use that one if you can, or work up carefully with a comparable substitute. Using Magnum instead of Standard can increase peak pressure at lower charges, so be careful.

Unless you hunt in an extremely cold place, the answer is nope. If your reason for using mag primer is for consistency in ignition, then you're better served using match primer.

I shoot a 25-06 a lot, I am on my second barrel on my current 25-06 rifle.

When I load powders like IMR 4831 or H 4350 I use only standard large rifle primers.
These are the powders I use for bullets in the 75 to 100 grain range.

When I feel the need to go to a 115 or 120 grain bullet, I switch to IMR 7828 and to a magnum large rifle powder.

The 25-06 case is not large enough to require a magnum primer unless you are shooting slow burning powders like IMR 7828 or RL 25, etc.

Actually, I have about settled on the 100 grain Partition for everything. I shot a nasty old wild boar last week that weighed over 250 pounds with that bullet and he never even kicked. I have shot coyotes at over 500 yards with the 100 grain Partition and it put them down right now.

However, I am partial to the 115 BT for antelope because of the long range shots that MAY be necessary. Never mind I have never shot one over 250 yards. But one of these days....

I have had better accuracy and chronograph data using magnum primers wirh 120gr bullets in the 25/06. May or may not be good in your rifle just give them a try.Rick.

Different strokes for different folks I guess. I get my best results using standard large rifle primers in evrything up to and including 300 Win Mag.
My go to primers for most loads are Federal and Winchester Large Rifle.

Back