primers

smitty81

Beginner
Apr 11, 2007
Do you guys use match grade primers in your premium hunting ammo?

How much more does it cost?

Match primers are about $5 per thousand more than standard primers, I think. I don't use them, and have never really found a need for them in my hunting ammo. I have rifles that group 1.5" at 100yds, and I have some that group around 1" at 100yds, and I have one that groups under .25" at 100yds (but that average may increase as it makes more trips to the range). I haven't ever used match grade primers, and haven't ever felt undergunned. Others use them, and perhaps I am leaving some accuracy on the table by not doing so, but in reality, hunting ammo is a compromise anyway because of the need for it to feed in less than optimal conditions, so accuracy is not always top notch for a given rifle when using the best hunting ammo. I may seat a bit deeper, as well as size a bit down the body of the case, instead of just neck sizing. All of this has something to do with accuracy in my experience, so hunting ammo loses some accuracy because of it.

I pretty much use match primers in ALL my loads these days. I have found that it does not make much difference in some rifles but makes a noticable difference in others. In some cases the match primer really improves group size and standard deviation on the chronograph.

As to cost, there are some real discrepancies. The following is from the latest Midway catalog, these costs are per 1000.

standard CCI 200 primers = $22.99
match grade CCI BR 2 primers = $35.99

standard Fed 210 primers = $22.99
match grade Fed 210M primers = $28.49

standard Fed 215 primers = $24.99
match grade Fed 215M primers = $29.99

I have used them all over the years but now use Federal GM210M and GM215M Match primers for everything.

Yeah, I use match primers in my rifles that can really deliver serious accuracy. I figure it's part of the package:

Good rifle, likely with Krieger barrel.
Match grade loading dies.
Match prepped or premium brass.
Match grade primers.
Carefully weighed powder charges.
Bullet selected for fine accuracy as well as terminal performance.

I do that stuff with a few of my rifles, and I think the match grade primers are a part of the equation. With stuff like my old beater .30-06 that won't group all that well anyway, I don't bother. I have good loads for it, but I don't spend the time and money to attempt to make match grade ammo for it. Well, I did once as an experiment. It didn't shoot any better than the normal stuff I feed that rifle.

Regards, Guy

When I first started reloading my 7mm Rem Mag, I tried Federal GM215M primers and I have not had to change. They have work great in my receipe.

Now, I hear that they are hard to find with the shortage and I only have a 100 left. :cry:

SGT720":18xzaq4u said:

Now, I hear that they are hard to find with the shortage and I only have a 100 left. :cry:

The 215M primers are not as hard to find as the 210Ms. Powder Valley has them in stock.

I use 210M and 215M for everything that takes a LR primer. I have several other primers both standard and match (benchrest). I try the others now and then, but I always come back to the Federals.

I use match primers in nearly everything. Exceptions are my .264 which has a thing for CCI250 primers and 215 primers in my .375 and .416 loads because I have several thousand of them and they shoot good especialy in the .416 Rigby. reflex264

I have switchwed to WLR primers in my 338 Win with RL 19.

depends on the powder

Varget gets CCI BR2 primers in 308 Win
IMR 4350 gets 210GM in the 30-06

Reloder 22 in the 300 Win gets FC 215GM
IMR 4831 in 300 WSM gets WLRM primers

IMR 4895 in the 308 win get RWS 5341

Reloader 19 in 338 win get WLR primers

Another component to try in your quest for the best load. I vary primers once I find what appears the best load and seating depth. I normally don't start with them when working up a load.Rick.

Do you guys use magnum primers in non magnum calibers?
Do they just fire hotter?
Is it safe?

Anytime you change a component, you should back down in powder and work back up. Doing so will prevent any pressure problems. To answer your question, yes I have used mag primers in non-mag loads and I have used regular primers in mag loads.Rick.

I use the Winchester WLRM magnum primer in everything, standard and magnum. They are very consistant in my toys, and my buddies, which I load for. The 25 06 really shines with the magnum primer lighting it up.

Back