PRIMERS??????

sniper1379

Beginner
Jan 2, 2009
anyone know where you can find any? looks like everyone is out now that we have a new fearless leader.

My local Bass Pro sell almost no reloading stuff. I did however find some powder and primers there. For the primers, it seemed like nobody even knew they were there...

Kevin

You'll have to search the internet and pay the Hazmat shipping, or diligently keep checking your local sporting goods store.

Obama isn't the reason for the unavailability of primers, the thousands of rounds expended daily by our troops in Iraq and Afghanistan are the main reasons.

sniper1379":1heavqxe said:
anyone know where you can find any? looks like everyone is out now that we have a new fearless leader.

What kind are you looking for?

JD338

Richracer1":cpv6tymg said:
You'll have to search the internet and pay the Hazmat shipping, or diligently keep checking your local sporting goods store.

Obama isn't the reason for the unavailability of primers, the thousands of rounds expended daily by our troops in Iraq and Afghanistan are the main reasons.

I dissagree with you.
My local stores, large and small, have been out of everything since the election. Before the election ammo prices were starting to come down and the shelves were full of handloading supplies.
Early in 2008 I would agree but, Obama is being called the best salesman for the firearms industry. Everyone is running scared and buying up everything.

old #7":2e7lvse4 said:
Richracer1":2e7lvse4 said:

I dissagree with you.
My local stores, large and small, have been out of everything since the election. Before the election ammo prices were starting to come down and the shelves were full of handloading supplies.
Early in 2008 I would agree but, Obama is being called the best salesman for the firearms industry. Everyone is running scared and buying up everything.

Old #7, FWIW, I'm not standing up for the guy, I didn't vote for him. It's common knowledge that primers, especially Federal's, have been scarce. If your local stores have been able to keep primers in stock, you are a lucky guy. Peace!!!!! :)

I have to agree Federal primers, especially Gold Medal Match are hard to find.

Have any you guys tried MagTec primers before? One of our local stores has a bunch of them and I have never tried them.

Corey

I have had trouble finding primers too !
But My 1st recomendation is to buy whatever you can get , as long as they are apropriate for the caliber.
I don't know where you live but here in portland , I know that sportsmans wherehouse , get trucks on tuesday and thursday. I try to get there on those days.
In my opinion the reasons they are scace are certainly the war. And certainly the new politcel inviroment. People are Hording them.
When I find Federal 210s or better yet 210Ms I will buy a couple thousand of them.
...tj3006

TJRoberts...

With all due respect, it's people like you that make it scarce for others. If you intend to buy a couple thousand of them, do you intend to reload that many really fast? I have about 300 primers on my bench, but wont use that many for a while, but certainly not "thousands".

The same thing happened to the craft beer industry just last year. The hop crop was bad, and when people starting buying their hops (whether it was a beer co, or an individual) they bought it "just to have". This shortage caused other homebrewers not to be able to get hops. Then, what was available went from (just an example) $4/lb to over $20/lb.

Kevin

smirak":2hppplfy said:
TJRoberts...

With all due respect, it's people like you that make it scarce for others. If you intend to buy a couple thousand of them, do you intend to reload that many really fast? I have about 300 primers on my bench, but wont use that many for a while, but certainly not "thousands".

The same thing happened to the craft beer industry just last year. The hop crop was bad, and when people starting buying their hops (whether it was a beer co, or an individual) they bought it "just to have". This shortage caused other homebrewers not to be able to get hops. Then, what was available went from (just an example) $4/lb to over $20/lb.

Kevin

Well, you can include me in that group as well. When Fed GM???M primers started to become hard to find, I stocked up. That was about a year ago. I haven't bought primers since as I have plenty to last a few years. In addition, where I live, it's 200 miles one way to any decent business that carries reloading supplies (if you consider Bass Pro decent). So, when they became available via Midway or when I went to Idaho to hunt, I bought some, but not all they had.

smirak,

Not everyone who buys in bulk is hoarding. It is possible that they want to have primers all of the same lot to eliminate one more variable in developing their loads. For many years, the advice from experienced hand loaders was to purchase primers in lots of one thousand or more for that reason, just as they were encouraged to purchase favoured powders in bigger lots. Consequently, there are some among us who shoot 500+ rounds per month. Under those circumstances it is actually wise, to say nothing of necessary, to purchase in bulk.

To use your example of causing scarcity through bulk purchases, perhaps we should each buy only ten gallons of gas at a time so there will be no shortage of gasoline. In fact, by that criterion, we should not buy a beef or a hog, as we can only eat one meal at a time.

Your example of the craft beer demonstrates a basic principle of capitalism and the operation of the free market.

think there is a big differnce from brand to brand. i've always used just winchester, but i was thinking if i ran across some remingtion or cci i would grab them. i really don't want to have to work up loads again because of different primer brands

DrMike":1jk8uehy said:
smirak,

Not everyone who buys in bulk is hoarding. It is possible that they want to have primers all of the same lot to eliminate one more variable in developing their loads. For many years, the advice from experienced hand loaders was to purchase primers in lots of one thousand or more for that reason, just as they were encouraged to purchase favoured powders in bigger lots. Consequently, there are some among us who shoot 500+ rounds per month. Under those circumstances it is actually wise, to say nothing of necessary, to purchase in bulk.

To use your example of causing scarcity through bulk purchases, perhaps we should each buy only ten gallons of gas at a time so there will be no shortage of gasoline. In fact, by that criterion, we should not buy a beef or a hog, as we can only eat one meal at a time.

Your example of the craft beer demonstrates a basic principle of capitalism and the operation of the free market.

I can understand your arguments as well, and agree with them. However, I live in MS, and during Hurricane Katrina, there was a fuel shortage. According to friends of mine that run a fuel hauling business, one casue was this: there were individuals that were sitting on 3/4 tank (again, an example) and went to the gas station to "top-off".

I didn't think about the fact that you would like all the same lot of primers, so that is a good/just argument.

Hey, I'm not jumping on anyone's case, and I hope it didn't come across that way (tj no offense meant). I was just trying to point out the fact that WE may be overreacting a bit to the current political environment. I didn't vote for the president, but I also don't think he will single-handedly (sp?) cause the ammo prices or reloading market to go out the roof. However, this is the same guy who today ordered the shut-down of Gitmo.

Kevin

sniper,

There are some differences in primers. However, the greater issue is that consistency demands that we exclude as many variables as possible when working up a load. Therefore, we will probably have the greatest success when we use the same brand of primer in working up a load. For the really careful handloaders, the lot numbers will be maintained as well.

smirak,

The example of purchasing gasoline that I used was perhaps not the best. My purpose was to illustrate that there may be a reason for buying in bulk. Consequently, my brother-in-law lives in Biloxi. From his experience, I am aware of some of the trials that arose as result of Katrina.

FWIW, there was a dearth of primers several years ago during the Clinton administration. At that time, the shortage was attributed to the threat of the assault weapons ban and the uncertainty that might arise should congress take further steps. As bad as it is in the states to find primers, you should live in northern British Columbia. It gets to be challenging at times to find primers, and when they are available, many people do buy in bulk.

Good hunting this spring to you.

Last winter, spring, and summer all the chain stores were out. About september I found my local gun store had FED 210M so I bought a case. They said they were never without them. Say a week latter I saw a case of FED 205 at a chain store and bought them and the best thing was I was charged $7.99 for it. I can't come up how they did it since thats what I would expect to pay for 200 not 1000 primers, but I wasn't gonna argree about it.

So check the small stores they just may have primer in stock.

Guys, if you have problems getting primers then you can bet we have the same :( When this happens, it takes longer for this situation to improve up here because the U.S. market will receive first, & rightly so. It is the source. Last year there was not a primer to be had anywhere in our city & my stock was very low. Fortunately I located 1000 Fed. GM 210 Match & 1000 Fed. 215 GM Match Mag. primers in a town 150 miles from me. The owner held them for me until I could pick them up :p

Believe me, I understand your predicament & sympathize :x

I have not seen any Federal 215 or 215M primers for sale in either British Columbia or Alberta for at least a year. There was a table at the Dawson Creek gun show last April that had about 800 F215 primers, which a friend snagged. None of the big chain stores have 215s or 215Ms. There were a thousand Federal 210s that appeared in our local gun shop a couple of months before Christmas. They were gone in a day. Recently, we have seen some CCI200 and CCI250 primers arriving, and there were a few boxes of Remington 9 1/2 primers that showed up. Other than that, we see Winchester WLR and WLRM with some degree of dependability. Primers can be rare in Canada. As I said, when they appear, hand loaders do not hesitate to grab what they can, especially if they are doing any loading at all.

Back