Project or Safe Queen?

YoteSmoker

Handloader
Oct 3, 2006
About two weeks ago, I purchased an original commercial FN 270 Win made in Herstal, Belgium between '46-63 for a very good price. The bluing is worn and the stock has many dings and scratches and the checkering is worn flat on the left side of the pistol grip. The front sight is missing from the dovetail and there once was a peep sight, now only two holes on the rear side of the receiver. It has beuhler rings, one piece base, and an old scratched up K4 scope. The rings are low and the safety touches the scope.

Although I have dies, bullets, and brass I am thinking about rebarreling to another chambering and restocking. Basically, just using this great action to build a rifle with. As far as big game rifles, I already have a very accurate 06 and a 7mm mag. So, I really don't have a use for the 270 caliber.

I'm afraid if I put the time and money in pollishing and rebluing the steel and refinishing the stock (which would take a lot of work) I may have more in it than what it is really worth.

Do you think I should leave it alone or build something on it? A couple choices of calibers that I wouldn't mind having are a 338-06 a square, 6.5X284, 6.5 '06, or possibly a 280 ai.

Please help me decide what way I should go. Thanks!

How do you feel about the 270 Win???????????????? :p

A 270 wby would fit nicely into a standard length action. Albeit, the 7mm Rem is sooo close. Would a 375 Ruger fit into a standard length action??
264 win if you want to alter the bolt face, you can build dang near anything on a standard action. Should be a lot of fun.

CC.

YoteSmoker,

Well, the .280AI is one hot round right now however fairly close to duplicating your 7mag that you already have. The 6.5-284 gets a very high vote from me obviously, BUT....... .240 Wby Mag ????

If you want something obscure, and yet somewhat 'period perfect' for that gun, you could try either the 308Norma or 358Norma. Both will fit into a standard length action, and both have great factory brass available from Norma. Either would seem right at home in an FN, and you'd only need to add a nice scope and stock to finish the job, and you'd have a great looking, interesting gun. It would require opening the bolt face, but that's not a big deal. You might have to modify the magazine follower, too. Good luck on your decision.

Here is an odd caliber that is really not a bad performer, a 9.3X62, althought bullet selection isn't great. or perhaps a 35 Whalen.

I hate to admit it, but a 270 Win is as well known and possibly common as it is for a reason. It is a very potent round with just the right amount of hitting power versus trajectory. I've had two, sold both. The first I sold because it was beat up and plain, the second was a Ruger 77 MkII I had bought new and sold because it in no way measured up to the way I could shoot the old model 70. I miss having one.

Just my 2 bits, no real way to go wrong with a FN anyway, if you duracoat it and put a Richards microfit or some other 95% inletted stock on it and glass bed the action to ease the fitting process it'll take some time, but should be very cost effective. OR go the other route with new bluing and a new high gloss, piece of walnut or whatever fancy wood you please and make a nice custom. I agree that a 270 may be too common a caliber for a custom, but a great everyday shooter. LOL, I'm no help at all :lol:

CC

dubyam has a good point about he 358Norma. The 358Norma is one awesome, accurate devastating round, I think it is one of those cool sometimes over looked rounds, but russ808 has a point, "if it ain't broke don't fix it" :grin:

Yotesmoker,

I may have the same model that you do and its a very nice rifle. While I can't see yours and know how it looks it sounds ready to hunt to me.

I see that rifle as neither a safe queen or a project gun. Its a rifle ready to use.

You can get a front sight or a dovetail blank to fill in the front ramp. Otherwise just check the headspace and hunt.

Of the cartridges you listed only the .338 whatever it is does not come close to what you have now!

The old 270 is just about the same as all the others and better as its popular.

This is a very handsome rifle what with the stepped barrel, roll marks, bushing bedding and FN quality.

Check that the safety is safe on yours and use it. Your lucky to have such fine rifle.

fn270f944b1f45le.jpg

Let that sweet old FN rock and roll!! Spend the money you'd use to rebarrel it on a goat tag and you'll be hooked!! Just my .02 CL

Savage99, that looks like the same model only your stock doesn't have dings and scratches like mine.

Thanks for all the advice everyone has given. I am going to leave it a 270 and see how it shoots. I really don't need another project right now.

Back