Projects...projects....projects.

Yeah, I'd say that is ready to go. Brand new barrel and TBBC's that print like that. That is hard to not like.

Some .300WSM action... 200yd groups with the 180gr Trophy Grade Ammunition.

gerry":3jlvdztp said:
Some guys just have preferences for some brands and therefore don't give another type a fair shake I guess. I keep finding myself looking at the X Bolt, BLR and LH BAR all the time, I guess one of those will be my next purchase.

I gotta admit. I never really gave one much attention until I needed to find a LH rifle for my son. Although he ended up with a Savage youth...once he grows an X-Bolt is in his future for sure.

This one I picked up for my wife to hunt with... I'd easily pick one up for myself...maybe a .338WM!

Thebear_78":57181bs2 said:
Hard to go wrong with the 270!!

That said you might look into the 366 Alaskan, 338 wm necked up to 9.3. Performance on par with 9.3x64 but readily available brass.

I would think the .375 Chatfied Taylor AKA .375 Taylor AKA the .375/338 Win Mag. might be an easier way to go The .338 Mag. brass and .375 bullets would probably be a hell of a lot easier to find, especially up in Alaska. IMR4350 works great in the cartridge and I imagine H4350 would OK too. Absolutely no problem getting .375 H&H velocities from the 270 and 300 gr. bullets. ES in my rifle runs 6 FPS with the .270 gr. Hornady SP and 5 FPS with the 300 Gr. Hornady RN and the 300 gr. Sierra Game King. Accuracy is more than adequate for close enounterd of the tooth and claw kind. Scope is an old El Paso all steel WEaver 4X with post and crosshair.
Depending on the bullet my rifle runs about 1.25" on average. The one drawback is recoil is a bit noticable in that 7.5 pound rifle. However, it was built to be carried a lot and shot very little. I had it built when I was expecting a job transfer to Alaska that fell though at the last moment. :( :cry:
The day I was doing the serious sighting in a fellow asked to shoot it. I warned him about the recoil and said to not shoot the very solidly mounted turkey silhouette set up for hand gun shooters. Well he shot the turkey which was mounted on a post with two 5 to 6" welds on both sides of the post.
I'd let him take his choice of bullet weight and he picked the 300 gr. Hornady RN. He shot the turkey after being told not too and several things happened at once. The gun went bang, he rocked way back, the bullet hit the turkey which went flying about 25 to 30 feet down range and the shooter was looking a little pale. After a few seconds he looked and me and said, "WOW! That gun hits like a sledge hammer at both ends." And that's how that rifle earned the name, "the Hammer". :lol:

Those 200 yard groups will do quite nicely. I'd say game in Alaska has reason to worry.

Back