"Pulling" The Trigger on a .30-06

remingtonman_25_06":2zq4cty5 said:
Congrats on the rifle! You can work the trigger down to 2# easily yourself on the older Remington triggers. I've done a few over the years, always turned out great and saved buying a $100 Timney. Put a good piece of glass in a nice set of base/rings and I'll almost guaruntee it shoots 1/2 MOA pretty easily with some good handloads. Every older ADL/BDL I've ever had or done for others, were all great shooters.
Thank you!
That's really good info to know.
Holy Cow! [emoji230]
.5 MOA?!? That's very reassuring to know.
Yes, I am going to put good glass on her. I want to ring out as much accuracy as I can.

Hawk

Sent from my REVVLRY+ using Tapatalk

Congrats Pard! I am partial to Mod 700s, their clones, and a few models put out by Winchester, Ruger and mark X. I am one of those that also had terrific results from Kimber. My "latest" 30-06 is a Mark X Cavalier ( the better finished, slim wood stocked model) but its at my smiths...still. Over the years I've owned Mod 700s that shot well, but all needed some trigger tweaking ( no problem) I would suggest that after you take it apart, clean it well, that you torque it back together at 50 "inch pounds". Do a 5 shot break in, and start playing with it. It may not need "anything" done to it as it is, so just try and find a load (or 5! :)) it likes. 58gr/IMR4350/165 anything will "usually" be very accurate, at least its what I have found out since 1977! :)

IF you find you want to "tweak it", Pillar Bed/Float it, check the Crown (normally they are just fine) add an aftermarket trigger ( whatever you like, many good ones I.E. Trigger Tech, etc) Add a Limbsaver Pad. All set! :) But lots of folks shoot them well "as is", My old Afrikaans friend in South Africa would use 'Auto Body Bondo". Put a dab in the recoil lug mortise, lay a piece of Saran Wrap over it as a "release agent", screw back together but not enough to squeeze out all the Bondo. Let sit overnight, next day, clean it up. He set his triggers around 8#, thats because he fought Commies in Angola with an R1 ( FN FAL SA copy) and he would wrap his entire finger over the trigger, used the middle part, ha. It worked for him! Lots of tricks for a Mod 700! have a ball pard!

Just remember when fooling with the older Remington triggers that you need at have at least 10 thousands sear engagement to be safe. You can see the engagement through the little window hole in the side of the trigger and use a feeler gauge filed so it will fit inside the window hole to measure your engagement. When set use BLUE lock tight on the screws. I personally like a 2 1/2 lb trigger. I can feel my finger on the trigger and then just a slight squeeze and it trips. I can not feel my finger on a 2 lb or less trigger and that is dangerous. Good luck.

Thank you gentlemen for the great advice!
I sure will use all of what you have said.

Does a limbsaver recoil pad fit as is on the rifle?

Hawk

Bought an in-expensive Remington 783 in 06, needed something to play with and proceeded to try a few powders.....nothing exceptional and then loaded 180 grain Nosler Accubonds and RL-26...wow its amazing, played with the trigger a bit, and its under an inch and shoots awesome, cant complain. The old 06 is a hammer @ 2850 fps out of a 22" barrel!

Double Dropper":978y333b said:
Bought an in-expensive Remington 783 in 06, needed something to play with and proceeded to try a few powders.....nothing exceptional and then loaded 180 grain Nosler Accubonds and RL-26...wow its amazing, played with the trigger a bit, and its under an inch and shoots awesome, cant complain. The old 06 is a hammer @ 2850 fps out of a 22" barrel!
That's awesome!

Good thing I have some RL-26 laying around.
I also have RL-22, IMR 7828, and IMR 4064.
I will be using those to experiment first.

2850 fps is smoking for a 180 gr bullet! Not too far off of the ol' 300 H&H mag velocities.

Hawk

For all the talk of heavy long bullets and the 30-06, I have found the flattest shooting and best accuracy comes from a 150 grain AccuBond. Pencils out to have the longest point blank range and shoots the smallest groups I can make at 100 yards. That is what I use for deer. I do have heavier bullets for other stuff and also bring some cast loads with pistol powder for grouse too. The 06 shoots them all.

clearwater":2ix8qtqx said:
For all the talk of heavy long bullets and the 30-06, I have found the flattest shooting and best accuracy comes from a 150 grain AccuBond. Pencils out to have the longest point blank range and shoots the smallest groups I can make at 100 yards. That is what I use for deer. I do have heavier bullets for other stuff and also bring some cast loads with pistol powder for grouse too. The 06 shoots them all.
That's pretty cool!
I bet the 150 gr AB can handle heavier than deer, if need be.

Hawk

HAWKEYESATX":39ikzm4c said:
I'm going to purchase a .30-06, and put my prejudices aside, and actually try out the old girl, and give it an honest chance. I have $400 - $500 to spend.
My quandary is this, I have an opportunity to buy a brand new S&W i-Bolt in .30-06. I've done my homework, and this was the predecessor to the TV Venture. It was made by Thompson Center, and S&W stamped their logo on it.
Next up, I have spied an old Remington Sportsman 78 in .30-06 for a very good price.
Then there is the TC Venture .30-06 that I can buy for a decent price as well.
I am open to suggestions as well.
I trust all of you and will use your opinions, and experience to make a choice.
All suggestions are welcomed.

Hawk

I also held out of getting an 30/06 because everyone has one lol. Then I found a mint mark x mauser in 30/06. I really don't shoot it very much,but it is a great round. I see why everyone likes it so much now lol.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Cleveland48":11g5hqxe said:
HAWKEYESATX":11g5hqxe said:
I'm going to purchase a .30-06, and put my prejudices aside, and actually try out the old girl, and give it an honest chance. I have $400 - $500 to spend.
My quandary is this, I have an opportunity to buy a brand new S&W i-Bolt in .30-06. I've done my homework, and this was the predecessor to the TV Venture. It was made by Thompson Center, and S&W stamped their logo on it.
Next up, I have spied an old Remington Sportsman 78 in .30-06 for a very good price.
Then there is the TC Venture .30-06 that I can buy for a decent price as well.
I am open to suggestions as well.
I trust all of you and will use your opinions, and experience to make a choice.
All suggestions are welcomed.

Hawk

I also held out of getting an 30/06 because everyone has one lol. Then I found a mint mark x mauser in 30/06. I really don't shoot it very much,but it is a great round. I see why everyone likes it so much now lol.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
It's funny, not as in ha ha funny, that my dad had me use his beautiful sporterized Springfield 03A3 he did himself, as the first rifle, and the .30-06 to cut my teeth on hunting rifles. My dad also used hand loaded cartridge, full power, or close to it. It didn't seem to recoil all that much then. Maybe it was my 14 year old adrenaline pumping. His Fajen Monte Carlo stock had a hard plastic butt plate. My dad would do this with me on and off until I joined the Air Force. He would also let me shoot his M1 Garand. Again, not too bad of recoil.
After I got done with basic training, Tech School, and ABGD, where just 2 days before I graduated, we qualified with the M203 grenade launcher, where the instructor "acquired" full load 203 grenade rounds, and not just the training rounds, where they kicked like a mule, and bruised my shoulder using the light ass M16.
I got home, and saw my parents. Right away, my dad pulls out my graduation present, a Mauser action Sporter, with a 20 inch barrel in .30-06. Subsequently, my dad arranged for us to go target shooting at a local range. While shooting that rifle, it felt like I was going to shoot my shoulder off. I am embarrassed to say, that when I got to my duty station, and settled in, I sold that rifle right away. I shouldn't have. It hurt my dad deeply.
My reasoning I got rid of that rifle, it absolutely kicked more than anything I had been accustomed to.
As I write, I'm thrilled that we have recoil reducing pads. Plus other means of taming recoil.
I think the Remington 700 BDL will be heavy enough to help tame most of the recoil. Especially after it has a scope on it.
I can honestly say I am over the moon excited to get my Rem 700 BDL.
I hope she shoots as well as she looks.

Hawk

Guy Miner":i9xq62hg said:
BTW - you may want to check out this 2001 book from J.Y. Jones. He took every big game species in North America (I think) over many years, with his Remington 700 ADL 30-06. Almost all with the 165 grain Nosler Partition, and a few of the real big critters were taken with the 200 grain Nosler Partition.

FAeM6Dfl.jpg

Regards, Guy
Guy,

I asked to get the book you recommended for my birthday, and my wife ordered it.
It will get here last week of August, to the first week of September.

Thank you for suggesting it, I absolutely love to read true hunting adventures of anyone who is an avid hunter.

I am on the edge of my seat awaiting it.
Hopefully it will get here sooner than expected.

Is it true that it is 546 pages long?

Hawk

I have found that a 150 grain w/ IMR 4064 shoots well in most 06's. A good bet if other loads are giving you any doubt. Congrats !

lhsako":1sxex5wz said:
I have found that a 150 grain w/ IMR 4064 shoots well in most 06's. A good bet if other loads are giving you any doubt. Congrats !
Thank you very much for the load info. I appreciate it.

Hawk

HAWKEYESATX":xq8w3owq said:
lhsako":xq8w3owq said:

Hawk

I’m pretty happy with 212’s and Staball :mrgreen:

Shoot, you instigated the load work!

SJB358":22ruzwoe said:
HAWKEYESATX":22ruzwoe said:
lhsako":22ruzwoe said:

Hawk

LOL! Glad I was able to contribute in some manner.

I've been looking at the Hodgdon data and StaBall, with the lighter bullets it even does well with them too.
But, with your 212 gr bullet load, that's amazing stuff there. I might be using your load here shortly.

Hawk

HAWKEYESATX":135lbqsw said:

Hawk

I’ve tried the Limbsaver prefits and they never seem to live up to the “prefit” claim. They are the best recoil pads out there in my opinion. I always get the full size Limbsaver pads and fit them with my bench sander. From their prefits I have bought, I still had to fit them.

Joec7651":2z962334 said:
HAWKEYESATX":2z962334 said:

Hawk

I’ve tried the Limbsaver prefits and they never seem to live up to the “prefit” claim. They are the best recoil pads out there in my opinion. I always get the full size Limbsaver pads and fit them with my bench sander. From their prefits I have bought, I still had to fit them.
Ah ok! That's good to know!
Thank you very much.

Hawk

HAWKEYESATX":118it82g said:
SJB358":118it82g said:
HAWKEYESATX":118it82g said:
lhsako":118it82g said:

Hawk

I've been looking at the Hodgdon data and StaBall, with the lighter bullets it even does well with them too.
But, with your 212 gr bullet load, that's amazing stuff there. I might be using your load here shortly.

Hawk

To add another load in case the grizzlies invade wherever you live. My last 30-06 did the best for accuracy with a max charge of RL 22 and the 220 gr Partition ;) speed was a bit over 2500 fps if i remember correctly. Looks like Staball 6.5 or RL 26 could get you even more speed. '06 before that one shot the 200 gr AccuBond into tiny groups with H 4350 for 2575 fps, the same two powders should be able to add some speed to that I would think.

Guy Miner":3vvqk8sr said:
BTW - you may want to check out this 2001 book from J.Y. Jones. He took every big game species in North America (I think) over many years, with his Remington 700 ADL 30-06. Almost all with the 165 grain Nosler Partition, and a few of the real big critters were taken with the 200 grain Nosler Partition.

FAeM6Dfl.jpg

Regards, Guy
Guy,

Thank you again for suggesting the book, "One Man, One Rifle, One Land".

I got my brand new copy today, and I have looked at it a little.

You were right, he had a Rem 700 ADL .30-06, and had an old Redfield 2-7 on her!

Well, I will go and read some more of my birthday present now.

Hawk

gerry":cugt14ix said:
HAWKEYESATX":cugt14ix said:
SJB358":cugt14ix said:
HAWKEYESATX":cugt14ix said:
lhsako said:

Hawk

Hawk

To add another load in case the grizzlies invade wherever you live. My last 30-06 did the best for accuracy with a max charge of RL 22 and the 220 gr Partition ;) speed was a bit over 2500 fps if i remember correctly. Looks like Staball 6.5 or RL 26 could get you even more speed. '06 before that one shot the 200 gr AccuBond into tiny groups with H 4350 for 2575 fps, the same two powders should be able to add some speed to that I would think.
I like how you think!

Hawk

Back