"Pulling" The Trigger on a .30-06

I'm eager to watch your load work ups on the new rifle . I haven't messed with a 30.06 for years . I'm interested in seeing how all the new powders work out . start a thread and walk us through the process .

when I was shooting them ,4064 and 4350 was the hot set up , with hornady 150 or 180 bullets .

jimbires":1qjlusa4 said:
I'm eager to watch your load work ups on the new rifle . I haven't messed with a 30.06 for years . I'm interested in seeing how all the new powders work out . start a thread and walk us through the process .

when I was shooting them ,4064 and 4350 was the hot set up , with hornady 150 or 180 bullets .
I certainly will let you all know how the load work up is going.
I have RL-26, RL-22, IMR 7828, and IMR 4064 on hand already.
In my area here, we have tons of Hornady bullets, and .30 cal too boot. .30 cal doesn't seem to move as much as 6.5mm or 7mm does, and the smaller calibers.
I was looking at my old Hornady reloading manual, and almost want to get the 190 gr Spire Point Boat Tail bullet, and work it up to 2700 - 2800 fps. Not only is it high BC, but it also holds onto it's energy down range as well.
I think I saw the last time I was in my Academy store, some 178 gr ELD-X bullets, along with the regular 180 gr Spire Point Boat Tails. So, I will pick some of those up.
I love Nosler bullets, and will buy the 180 gr Ballistic Tips at some point too. From what I've seen of the StaBall 6.5 powder, I'll get some of that too, and work some loads up with the couple of bullet selections I like.

Oooo-eeee! I'm getting excited to try my rifle and loads out!!

Hawk

Sent from my REVVLRY+ using Tapatalk

Did you think about bedding the recoil lug on the rifle?
I would suggest that as a minimum, but I'd probably bed the whole action.

Dr. Vette":1brnvvor said:
Did you think about bedding the recoil lug on the rifle?
I would suggest that as a minimum, but I'd probably bed the whole action.
Yes, I have actually thought about that as well.
Thank you for reminding me about that.
I'm hoping since it's an older rifle, that maybe someone has done that already. We shall see.
If anything, I'm fairly confident that I can free float the barrel and bed the recoil lug.

Hawk

Enjoy the book!

I took it a chapter at a time. Savored each one. I think he did the hunting in that book over about a twenty year period. Some animals required multiple trips. And yes, you now know that it's a large and heavy book. After I bought it, I didn't have to go to the gym anymore, just walk around carrying the book, put it in the book shelf, get it out. Great workout.

:wink:

And enjoy your 30-06, wonderful cartridge and you've got a good rifle for it too.

Guy

Guy Miner":2auwehdh said:
Enjoy the book!

I took it a chapter at a time. Savored each one. I think he did the hunting in that book over about a twenty year period. Some animals required multiple trips. And yes, you now know that it's a large and heavy book. After I bought it, I didn't have to go to the gym anymore, just walk around carrying the book, put it in the book shelf, get it out. Great workout.

:wink:

And enjoy your 30-06, wonderful cartridge and you've got a good rifle for it too.

Guy
You are not kidding about that book being a workout! [emoji1787]
Thank you very much Guy! I'm sure I will be very pleased with my rifle and the .30-06.
I have to confess, you are the one that got me to thinking about, and wanting to try the .30-06, without prejudices, or pre- thinking badly about it.
I'm going to give it a fair shake. I just hope I have as much fun with mine as you have yours.

Hawk

Ok gentlemen, and ladies,

I got my Remington 700 BDL .30-06 in today!
I have to say that is a beautiful firearm.
I have it all set up to go to the range.
Can't wait to see how she shoots!

Hawk
e87b4d7fc98ac8912d2bd4d132de4686.jpg
782a039c1d929dd71a3f518f1a3c15d8.jpg

150 grain Barnes TTSX and Reloader 17, 3100 fps and very consistent. For the lighter bullets it is fantastic, does very well with 165 grain Accubonds.

Double Dropper":10jso35e said:
150 grain Barnes TTSX and Reloader 17, 3100 fps and very consistent. For the lighter bullets it is fantastic, does very well with 165 grain Accubonds.
Thank you! I will write that down as well. Appreciate it!

Hawk

Double Dropper":37t2odye said:

What was the Max load you ended up with, barrel length Pard? I am trying some 6.5 Staball with that Barnes 150TTSX in my next '06. I'm trying Big Game with the 130 TTSX. The Mark X was nice....just couldn't enjoy handling/shooting it, I love the faster lock-time of the Mod 700/Clones. Have another Bergara headed my way, ha. It has a 24" barrel.

I think I've settled on a load.
180 gr Hornady ELD-X and a max charge of 57 grs of H4350.
Starting load of 53 grs and working up.

Hawk

Back