Put your thinking caps on...

Ackley guy

Beginner
Apr 22, 2006
I have a custom built .25-06, Ackley Improved (by my deceased Father). I've experienced a few problems, here's the list: 1). Primers have been flattening...2). I thought I had a head space problem, so had the barrel backed-off by four thousandths, DIDN'T fix it...30. Occaissionally (say every fifth round) I get a mis fire, as if the firing pin isn't striking firmly (haven't replace spring or firing Pin...Yet!...and 4). I've been told with the Ackley Improved one should ONLY use 100 grain and heavier bullets or risk Case failure. Any insight into the possible problems would be great.......thanx, Ackley Guy.

Ackley guy,

Try some factory 25-06 loads to obtain some new fire formed cases.
Then select a bullet (any weight) and start working up your loads.
My 280 AI starting loads are 280 Remington MAX loads. Should be the same for the 25-06 AI.

The flattened primers are a sign of excessive pressure. I wouldn't shoot any more of them. I use Federal GM215M Match Grade primers in my 280 AI with great results.

Hope this helps.

JD338

Flattened prtimers can be from a too light or heavy load. Once you have your brass, start with the max load of the parent case and work up from there. Stay off the lands when working up loads. Having moved the barrel you are in a new place and you need to find all the info on the new headspace.Rick.

I did not mention a couple of additional things. We have worked with this gun for over thirty years. The first time I reloaded for it (using my Father's recipe) I had a sear pop me in the face. My father was SOOO mad he thought I had "double charged!" But he pulled All my bullets and found none of the such. I'll have to look at my "dummy load" for OAL, and MY reload I killed an Antelope with using a 117 Sierra Boattail. I'll look it all up and report back...........thank you all for your replies.

so you are trying the same recipe from before you set the barrel back?
DUDE! start over!

Prior to setting the barrel back did you check the chamber with 25-06 Ackley Improved go, no gages???

That old of gun I'd want to thoroughly scrub the bolt internally to be sure thre is no gunk build up. I'd also want to be sure the bore is clear of copper and other fouling - maybe you have done these but I thought it worth mentioning.

Some of the old PO Akely loads look mighty hot to me and nowadays the powder lots are far different from what he used. I'd seriously think about starting a little low and working back up. And as others have said, pay attention to seating depth, brass condition and all other elements.

After 30 years and who knows how many rounds that throat area may be getting mighty rough. This will increase pressures considerably, all other factors being equal. The 25-06AI is sensitive to small differences in components, so the advice already given is sage. Start over from a lower charge, and use a liberal dose if caution in developing loads for this rifle. The fail to fires may be caused by contamination or a weak striker spring. I would do a bolt disassembly and thorough cleanup first. Regards, Eagleye.

Back