Question about using old powder

jmak920

Beginner
May 24, 2015
I tried some IMR 4350 from a half full 1lb can last used 12 years ago and got 200 fps (cronograph) slower than expected with the Hornady book max load that should have produced 2500 fps in W.348 with listed Horn 200g bullet. Fired 20 rnds with no feeding problems or unusual brass damage indicators.
Have read about checking for a pungent odor on suspect powder indicating deterioration that could be dangerous. Checked it and found no such odor. This can was new and first opened no more than 15 years ago.

What I don't know is: Can powder still safe to use have lost some potency after sitting around that long ?
I wanted to try some other powder anyway but just wondered if anyone has experienced such a thing. - - - :? :?: jmak

I'm using powder from the 1960's. :)
Not for all my loads but some. Buddy of mine got a 55 gallon drum in the 1960's. Keeps us all in powder.

Vince

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

If there is no sign of oxidation (reddish dust, acrid smell), the powder should be fine. What can make a significant difference is lot-to-lot variation in the burn rate.

Back