Question for nosler guys on bullet jackets?

coyotetrapper

Beginner
Feb 9, 2007
I was wondering on bullet jacket thickness, on the 6mm 80 grain Bal tip how hard of a change would it be to bump this up from the thinner varmint jacket to the thicker hunting jacket?

I geel this bullet I use alot in my .243 could be made even a better bullet if if where put into the game catagory and not varmint and had a thicker jacket? I do have some 90's and they shoot well, but I can get flatter trajectory and more FPS with a mild powder charge. This then would have even better results on coyotes and would work well on antelope and smaller deer as well.

I'm sure most of the varmint hunters that shoot "true" varmints are using the 70 grain or less? coyotes I feel fit into there own catagory and using varmint bullets of many kinds I have found and heard from others the negatives of hitting bone with a thin jacketed bullet in that 3,000fps or higher range cause splash, more so with others bullets and I do well with the 80 on coyotes but feel this bullet could be made even better with a thicker jacket?

Just thinking out loud, how hard would this be to switch this bullet any ideas? I'm betting many that shoot a 6mm caliber would look to this as a true coyote bullet if the switch was made. Thanks

Listening intently to what Nosler has to say...my personal belief is the 95 grain B-tip may be the way to go for a do all bullet for yotes and deer if sold on Nosler and the 243. What ya think Nosler?

The 90 is one with the heavier jacket and I like it but I get better performance from the 80 as far as FPS and trajectory goes.

The marketing idea could be take the 80 grain bal tip use the thicker jacket, throw a coyote on the box and print advertising finally a 6mm bullet designed for coyote shooting, now with a thicker jacket and reduced bullet splash on contact, the new re designed Nosler 80 grain will hit harder and perform better on coyotes. Varmint bullets are for thin skinned critters a new break through the first bullet in the popular 6mm desinged for the coyote hunter in mind!!!!!

I know this bullet shoots well from factory rems with 1- 91/8 twist and all of the 1-10 twist barrels really well, I would like to see it's performance ramped up with the thicker jacket.

What say you Nosler ?

Hmmmm, interesting. We have a meeting today, I'll bring it up and see if I can get a response.

More to come... :grin:

Nosler 4 I hope the others will give you a green light! Coyote hunting is one of the fastest growing shooting sports their is! Easy ground access, plenty of critters and the willingness of landowners to allow hunting of them.

I do it for a profession and I can tell you their is a big need for bullets in varying calibers that need a "true" coyote bullet which no company has come out with that I know of. Varmint bullets aren't made for 35-45lb coyotes! So most experianced coyote hunters switch to a gane type for the most part allowing more room for some error more at long range, the draw back mostly heavier end bullets in the 26 cal and under bracket, many want a flat shooting rifle that hunt coyotes in the open plains of the west and midwest and want a bullet that will stand up from 60 yards to 600 yards and if bone is hit not create the splash and leave some coyotes gone unfound!

I thank you for bringing this up and this is a market waiting to be tapped by one or some bullet makers for sure!

CT, while we're waiting for a response...Have you tried the 85 Sierra BTHP Gameking or 85 Barnes TSX on yotes? These are the two bullets I've settled on for predator and big game, until something better comes along like an 85 grain AccuBond for instance, hint hint.

Not a fan of barnes bullets! I haven't tried the sierra bullets either ,I like the nolser bal tips they do the job well for the most part but could be improved on with a thicker jacket! I get excellent groups with these bullets at 1 " or less at 200 yards!

My preferance for 22-250 is the hornady AMAX high BC and great groups! V max no way on them at 3,700 FPS just to much explosion for me, the amax still splashes on direct shoulder hits, but better than those v max, again varmint bullets I feel are good for exploding p-dogs, woodchucks, rock chucks and the such but no room for error when hunting coyotes with these bullet types.

The 90 grain bal tip makes a dandy antelope bullet because of the jacket differance, a friend I loaded up some for him same as my load h-4831 sc and his wife first time hunting at 300 yards dropped a nice buck bullet performance was good!

Thanks for the info yote smoker !

I wanted to add I don't use my 25-06 much for coyotes as I like the mild recoil of the 243 heavy barrel, but those 110 accu bonds sure did a number on coyotes for sure! I went for shoulder hits as it would flat lay them coyotes out not even a step! I don't have 600.00 right now to be barrel and go with a heavy barrel on my 06 so I use it now for long range walking/stalking deer and antelope and it killed 2 antelope 2 weeks ago at 530 yards a 14" buck and a doe ! those accu bonds and IMR 4350 are a good combo, but for coyotes I like my heavy barrels LOL! .243 is becomming my go to gun for coyote depredation for sure! The 22-250 sits more now! The differance between the 52 grain and 80 grain is for sure noticeable, to me the ideal long range coyote rifle is the .243!

Thanks Nosler4 I hope we hear some good news as I feel this would be a great addition for many coyote hunters and for nosler to add sales and be the first to cater to the coyote calling/hunting market!

I would be happy to test any of these new jacketed bullets if this comes to see the light of day! :lol:

Back