Questions before making the calls.

longwinters

Handloader
Oct 10, 2004
Well I am going to be calling PacNor and Williams (Hart Barrel) about getting a rebarrel and trueing job done on my Rem LVSF 22-250 to 7m-08. I don't really care for the 22-250 and cannot live without a 7m-08.

So I need advice on barrel length (thinking 22-23") contour (3 maybe) , fluting (what contour if I get the barrel fluted for stifness yet not too hvy) and number of rifleing groves.

Oh, also would I gain much going A.I?

Thanks,

Long

Long,

Contact Rob Canze at Williams Gun Sight, 810 653 2131 and tell him what you want for your rifle needs. He will put together exactly what you want.

JD338

22" tube #3 fluted.

BTW Chris at Pacnor rebarreled my 378 WBY MAg. She was shooting 1-1.5" at 300 yards after he was done.

pacnor rebarreled my 7mm rem mag. afterwards it was shooting my favorite loads in nice 4" groups at 100yds. 140gr ballistic tips h4831 around 3100fps. still will not shoot bullets under 160gr. but 175gr sierra spbt GK really shoot. ordered a 26" 3#, got a whippy 26" custom taper. do not know what caused the mis-order, but the lighter barrel is not a bad thing for a hunting rifle. so i kept it

I would send it to pacnor. They will do everything but the wood work.
What will you loose by going with the AI?

baltz526":26ttnuv1 said:
pacnor rebarreled my 7mm rem mag. afterwards it was shooting my favorite loads in nice 4" groups at 100yds. 140gr ballistic tips h4831 around 3100fps. still will not shoot bullets under 160gr. but 175gr sierra spbt GK really shoot. ordered a 26" 3#, got a whippy 26" custom taper. do not know what caused the mis-order, but the lighter barrel is not a bad thing for a hunting rifle. so i kept it

Can you explain why you kept that barrel? It will not shoot your favorite lighter 140 gr hunting load now and you must shoot 175's?

I am sure Pacnor would have made it right, no?

I built a 257AI about 10 yrs ago to fit my quick handling gun needs. I put a 22" #5 shilen tube on it and just love it. Would have love to had it fluted, but did not have the xtra jing at the time. But it is a great handling little rifle based on a modified 700 SA. I dont find the #5 heavy at all. I could weigh the who rig and let ya know if desired. But it is one of my favorite rifles to carry and shoot.

Gunsmith: Not that is anything wrong with PacNor & I have NO personal knowledge with PacNor issues, I just prefer to keep things close/local. Look at JD338's 280, I think that was done by his recommendation. It is an awesome rig fer sure.

To AI or not to AI.. Thats up to you, I have three.. Outside of the "coolness" factor of being able to say I have an Ack Imp, I do not see a "significant" reason to do so again in a general hunting rifle configuration. With my bench guns, I love them, because I am trying to get the most out of a certain caliber, in a certain case, in a certain action length. But for a hunting rifle and as JD338 says, there is no replacement for displacement.

So if your looking for a hi perf 7mm in a short action, consider the 7mm WSM. If your looking to join the legion of folks who can say they have a cool looking cartridge that gets oohs and ahhs at the local range and just want something uniqie and different, by all means, go for the AI. You wont regret it...

But have fun and do it the way you want it done, this is your rifle..

Nodak

POP":1pkjhugx said:
I am sure Pacnor would have made it right, no?
pacnor was having ISSUES at the time. the action was sent in with a 6 week turnaround promise, 11 weeks later i got the barreled action back. without the barrel i ordered and a rough chamber. for only $575.00. i'm not a whinny type of guy, so i accepted the product and it is going on my elk hunt this year as backup. i would have to look at my hunt book to get the year it was worked on, it was being done to take on a spring bear hunt in hells canyon area. 2000 is when it was done. since then it has been used with 160gr sierra hpbt GK. with fair accuracy. and this year i went to the 175gr sierra GK with great accuracy. the list of bullets i tried, 140gr bt, 140gr ab, 160gr ab, 160gr Partition, 160gr sierra hpbt.

I wonder if the new 150 E-Tip would be long enough to properly stabilize in your barrel?

Back