Rabbit?

About the only rabbits I shot had the first name ,"Jack". Most were just not fit to eat so good practice on running targets was what I used them for. One day, a friend if mine with sometimes weird ideas and tastes but an avid shooter found a book on how the Apache tribe cooked and recipes and got to trying them. At one of out Burrito shoots he did up a few jackrabbits up Apache style and frankly, as tough as those rabbit were, they were still mighty tasty. BTW, apparently they liked food hotter than most people because it was fiery as hell. A few cold beers would have been nice.
Paul B.

I grew up in a family of eight kids on a family farm. I was in charge of rabbits from about age ten until I left home. I think I kept six does and one buck and I was always killing and butchering and cleaning and freezing rabbits!
Today the thought of field dressing and keeping a wild rabbit holds no interest for me whatsoever, but if someone else will do it, I still love the meat.
We had a huge apricot orchard on the farm, to this day the sight of ripening apricots makes me physically nauseous!

I grew up in a family of eight kids on a family farm. I was in charge of rabbits from about age ten until I left home. I think I kept six does and one buck and I was always killing and butchering and cleaning and freezing rabbits!
Today the thought of field dressing and keeping a wild rabbit holds no interest for me whatsoever, but if someone else will do it, I still love the meat.
We had a huge apricot orchard on the farm, to this day the sight of ripening apricots makes me physically nauseous!
I know what you mean. Youngest of five for me, kept 4 does one back, each had a litter every 40 days! Couldn’t eat them fast enough. Friends, family and neighbors got free rabbits. But I still enjoy eating them

Last edited:
Me and "Ole Smoke" (the Dog) chased a lotta rabbits in our Day. Never had a taste for 'em though. Guess beef was to easy to come buy when I was growing up. Dad and I did our best to collect some bounty on Jacks back when I was in High School. Good memories and fun rifle practice in the winter. BTW Dads 7 Mag just made a pencil hole through a jack, and sold me on the value of a 22Mag. CL1.2.18 663.JPG

I love hunting rabbit almost as much as pheasant. I have no idea how many there has been over the years. Most were with my 870. Theres no better meal to be had than fried rabbit, biscuits, mashed potatoes, stewed okra, and gravy made from the rabbit drippings.

As the oldest of 3 kids growing up on the acreages where we didn't have much other livestock, form 5-11 years old, I looked after our rabbits...usually a buck and 2-6 does.
When we moved back to the family farm at 11, I hunted and snared snowshoe hares, and there were enough to keep us in good supply so that we stopped raising rabbits. (had enough other livestock (cows, pigs, chickens, ducks, turkeys) to look after)
Hunting and snaring hares was an opportunity to escape some of the other endless chores by spending a little more time in the back 40 with the .410 or 22!

Used a 22-250 and would try to just wing ‘em.
Hit them dead center and you vaporize ‘em.

Also used .22 LR, .38 Not So Special, and 12 Gauge.

Vince

Back