Ramshot Big Game?

bdbrown66

Handloader
May 16, 2016
Anyone here have much experience with this powder? I have been intrigued by the load data I've seen for it, especially in 30-06. I've tried to find it locally for a year or so, but no one seemed to carry it. About a week ago, Powder Valley got some various powders in stock, and I was able to snag 4 lbs of it. I plan to try it in my 22-250, 243, 6.5 CM, and of course 30-06. But before I get into all of that, I figured I would check with the brain trust here to see if others have any experience with it. What say ye?

Brian

There is a guy on here that has had great luck with it in his 7mm-08. I screenshot his load info but was never able to buy any big game powder locally.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I'm getting geared up to use it in my 7mm08. Still working on my reloading room. From what I've read it works pretty good.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I bought some Ramshot BigGame to try in my 8x57. I havent tried it with a variety of bullets yet, but the ones Ive used BigGame with have shot great. This load in the picture is a consistent producer with the Speer 170gr Semi SP.

At some point down the road I plan on shooting some BigGame in my 7x57 and 6.5 Creedmoor.

100 Yds
1VCw4o.jpg

My 3006 (savage) loves it.

I was using a Hornady Interlock, 150gn #3035 RN. It’s a 3030 bullet. Loaded If the BigGame 0.02” off lands. Shot a 4 shot wobbly bug hole at 100 yards. Double lung shot would exited with a 2+” hole.

53.3gn. Gives you 2700fps... since it shot such a tight group, I didn’t take it up to the 60 grains The Hornady manual max 60.7gn(3000fps).

3035’s expansion range is 1800-2600.

This was my very first load I made for a rifle. I was hooked.

I like Big Game, and all the ram shot powders I’ve used(TAC and Xterminator). Haven’t tried their slower powders.

I should add, many powders work in my 3006, but this one rocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ronc80":2soxzdrd said:
I'm getting geared up to use it in my 7mm08. Still working on my reloading room. From what I've read it works pretty good.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

RL17 is another good 7mm-08 powder , if you can find it .

gunpowder is gunpowder , it all works . some powders are just a better match to certain cartridges than others . I'll say we will all be using new components before the supply catches up , and we get back to our normal recipes . this is a good time to experiment .

I like Big Game in my 30-06's.Three rifles I tried this load all shot it really well with a 168gr Nosler Ballistic Tip.

Attachments

• Sako 30-06 2.jpg
    Sako 30-06 2.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 1,046
Sounds like it will be a good powder for my intended uses. Thanks for the feedback!

My velocities were running around 2950fps with the 168gr Ballistic Tip out of my 23&24" barreled 30-06's with 55.5grs of Big Game.It was the only powder I tried that would get me above 2900fps out of my 23" and group well.I also use either a WLRM or Federal GM215M Primers.

Big Game was suggested to me here on this site for my 7mm08 and it has performed well giving good groups and speed. Plan on trying it in my 30-06 as well just have been using H4350. Dan.

I've only used big game with 9.3x62, and its been excellent. Seeing these post have me really wanting to try it in my 7x57.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Been wanting to try it myself in 30-06, but for some reason it was never a powder on the shelves here locally and now it's for sure not around. Oh well, about anything worth doing in a 06 can be done with 4350 and thankfully I got plenty of that.

Never tried it in anything but the Mighty -08.

I’m the BG guy for the 7mm-08. I’ve had phenomenal success with it.

P

I managed to snag 5lbs off of hodgdon website a couple days ago if anyone is looking for some. I know I checked the next day and they still had some. I managed to find some 7x57 data and it looked really good. Plus the price was like $28/lb which was nice to see here lately

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

pharmseller":11hwraic said:
I hear that BG is great in the 30-06 for 150 grain bullets.
I was getting 3100fps with 58.5grs of Big Game,WLRM primers,Win cases with a 150gr Nosler Ballistic Tip out of my 24" barrelled CZ 30-06.I'd back off that load about a grain and work up,but it's really easy to get 3000fps with that powder.

jimbires":3168mciq said:
I'll say we will all be using new components before the supply catches up , and we get back to our normal recipes . this is a good time to experiment .
Most sensible thing I've heard in a long time regarding the current ridiculousness.

When I'm choosing my powders, I have always liked for ones that offer a lot of flexibility, both within a given caliber and across different calibers. That way, it's easier to find options if your preferred load is unavailable for whatever reason. Powders like IMR 4064, for example. I can use it in nearly every caliber I load for, from .22-250 to .30-06. Might not be the best option, but it is a good enough option for me. And it's usually easy to find.

Back