Ramshot Hunter Powder

TXbaldhunter

Handloader
May 12, 2007
Has anybody loaded any Ramshot Hunter powder?That stuff meters so well out of my Redding,dropping charges right on the money.I tried some in my 30-06 the other day,59.0grs got 5/8" groups with 165gr Interbonds @ 2800fps out of a 22" barrel.Gotta try it in some of my other rifles.Think I'll see how it does in my 300 Win. Mag. next time.

I have not had the pleasure of using Ramshot Hunter yet, but have extensively used Ramshot Magnum Powder in the past. Magnum meters very easy as well. I'm not that familiar with Hunter is it also a Ball Powder?

What Primer & Cases are you using with that load?
You can't complain with your results, very good performance! How was the SD with this powder?

Don

I've used a bit of Hunter. I enjoy the Ramshot powders. There are situations where they are the powder of choice. Hunter works very well in the short magnums, especially with mid-weight bullets. I would imagine that it works well in standard 30-06 sized cases.

I have used Ramshot Hunter in my 270 win and my 7mm wsm. It is a great powder and it does meter very well.

DON":2p7urq89 said:
I have not had the pleasure of using Ramshot Hunter yet, but have extensively used Ramshot Magnum Powder in the past. Magnum meters very easy as well. I'm not that familiar with Hunter is it also a Ball Powder?

What Primer & Cases are you using with that load?
You can't complain with your results, very good performance! How was the SD with this powder?

Don
Yes it is a ball powder,Win. Large Rifle Primer was used and the SD,I didn't write it down in my notes so I really cannot say,but I do remember the readings were close and no pressure signs were observed.

I have never used hunter, but my .243 W/55 BTs likes Big Game, and my wifes 7-08 W/120 BT and 140 AB like Big Game. It is a ball powder as well.

I have also used it in my 375R W/ 260 AB with great results. I have not used any other Ramshot powders yet.

Used some Ram Shot Hunter in my .300 WSM - it worked real well. Very easy metering for accurate powder charges from the powder measure.

Hunter tends to produce very small extreme spreads and tight standard deviations in most of the rifles I've shot. It may not always have given the highest velocity, but it tended to be accurate.

Had my .300 WSM out at the range with me yesterday. Could only get to the 100 yard line max, but between wind gusts I did a little rifle shooting. Was shooting some 168 gr Brand B monolithic bullets over a sturdy charge of Ramshot Hunter - with gratifyingly small groups downrange. Very nice stuff. Tried to get some more yesterday, but by the time I was off work, the gun shop was closed.

I know, I know... Brand B bullets... Sigh... I had some. What can I say? :grin:

Probably going to take me an hour to clean the bore now...

Hoping to use Nosler bullets from this rifle in the fall. Have a current loading project going with 200 gr Accubonds. I started it last year, and am trying more this year.

Guy

Guy,
Let us know how your project progresses, sounds very interesting.

Don

Mike, do you generally use magnum primers when you reload Ramshot powders?

Mike, do you generally use magnum primers when you reload Ramshot powders?

Probably about 3/4 of the time I will use magnum primers. I note a number of times that I've used large rifle primers, however, and not solely with the faster Ramshot powders.

I'm playing with some hunter in my 338 WM with the 225 AB. Ramshot guide says max of 76gr, and QL said max of 71.6. So I started at 71 and loaded up to 74 in 1 gr increments. I got 71 and 72 shot before a gust of wind blew my box over and mixed my last two loads :x

TXbaldhunter,
Can you disclose what primer is used with that load?

Don

Back