range report, sav. weather warrior 270 win

matts318

Beginner
Mar 4, 2007
I finally talked my dad into getting rid of his a-bolt 270 feather weight as I was gonna start charging him to sight it in, bruised cheek and shoulder and scope bite every other shot, and its a super picky gun and never great except with one load but still not all that good. We got a deal on nosler 2nds 140 b tips and bought 200 of them, my test was to include 3 powder with the b-tips seated to the same lenght for all testing to make things simple, two 3 shot groups for each load. I was using H4831sc, rl 19, rl-22. The savage magazine is super long and I figured I could get to the rifling and I was right, I loaded a bullet and kept seating it deeper until it no longer hit the rifling then seated it deaper by ruffly .015-.020 off, I know its not fancy but I dont have a modified case for a 270, with the bullet seated the bottom of it is just to the bottom of the neck.

First 3 shots to site in, then the first three groups all came out to just over an inch with h4831sc just under, not bad for only 13 rounds down the barrel, I cleaned after site in and after those three groups, my dad took the next 3 groups, but pulled on 2 shots but right to where he said he pulled but basically 2 holes touching then the fliers but the groups still right around an inck, you could see that it was grouping better which I was hoping to see as the barrel broke in. I had some shells from last year with rl-17 and 140 sierras and decided to shot a group, just barely over an inch, I took it home and cleaned real good. So we have 4 powders that will produce no bigger than a 1.25" group, I think that is awesome! Its like I can put anything down the barrel and it shoots good!

Last weekend, bad weather so didnt hunt one day and went out to the new 1000 yard range by my house with the 270 and my 308, well the savage really impressed me, we decided that the rl-19 and h4831 showed more promise so I loaded up 12 of each and off I went. Well the reloader 19 shot 2 1" groups at 100 yards and one at an 1.25", and at 250 it shot a 2.5" group, not bad for a hunting rifle. Wow, the H4831 load blew me away, 3 groups at 100 yards under .75", one was at .4" and the other at .6", at 250 yards I had 2 holes touching and the third just above it for a .9" group! I think I found the load! wind conditions were bad, 10+ mph from left to right but pretty consistent.

Overall Im very happy my dad got a great gun that shoots good, its the 3rd savage and it shoots good just like the others, comes pretty darn close to my custom barreled 308 in accuracy! For basically not doing any load development im very surprised how it shot, I didnt have to tweak anything, just put bullets and powder in and it shoots good!

Final load
federal brass, FL sized, bumped the shoulder .002"
cci large rifle primers
57 gr. H4831sc
140 b tip 2nds about .020 off lands

Sorry for the long post but im just really excited about how this gun shot, especially since the gun salesmen and myself talked my dad into a more expensive rifle, talk about pressure to get it to shoot good!

yeah I already told him no excuses, although he is a very good shot when it comes to shooting game, in 20 years I only remember him missing one deer and the bullet hit a heavy gauge fence and deflected. He is very happy with the rifle, it makes me want to trade in my ruger in 270 WSM to get a savage but i have some money into the ruger so I will keep it.

Got to love those Savages, I like mine. Wish I had my orrignal one now. Oh well. Sounds like you got a great shooter.

Corey

Back