Range results for Weatherby Vanguard 223

Mountain Goat

Handloader
Dec 14, 2010
I picked up a new Vanguard synthetic in 223 about a month ago to use as a fun gun that would give me more trigger time without burning up barrels and ammo in my hunting rifles. (22lr's are only fun for a while) I mounted a Nikon Monarch 2-8 on top since it needed a home. I purchased some ultramax ammo when I got the rifle. This is remanufacutred ammo with 55gr spire points for about $20 per 50 count box.

After bore-sighting, the first 3 shots went into just under .75" but were low and left, so I made the appropriate scope adjustments. I then just pounded the remaining rounds into the center of the target, letting the barrel cool after 4-7 shots, and walked away with a 2 inch group or so. This gave me a standard for what I'm looking for in handloads. I'm not needing or looking for target grade accuracy and want to load in a somewhat efficient manner, both economically and production wise.

I loaded the empty brass, which is Lake City, Federal 205 primers, Hodgodon Benchmark and a 53gr Hornady V-Max bullet. I just stuffed them to the max COL in the Nosler #6 manual. I ended up with a load of 25.5gr.

Since I will be loading 223 for 3 rifles, all Vanguards, my buddy kicked in some new Remington brass, Wincheser brass, primers and some more Benchmark. All we were after is a load that shot as good or better than the Ultramax. This was not difficult to achieve. The loads in the Remington brass were noticeably better in all 3 rifles than the other two makes.

In short, all three rifles had no trouble with the first 3 shots going under .75" with most 5-shot groups around the same size. Two of the rifles are out of the box stock with zero modifications. One is in a Hogue pillar bedded with no other changes made. My rifle has the stock touching the barrel on both sides the entire length of the barrel as well as at the fore-end. This was going to change, but considering the way it shoots, that would be fixing something that isn't broken.

My budies had to leave, and I was the only one left at the range, so I decided to move out to 200 yards just for fun and to confirm zero. I was shooting at the "Shoot n See" prairie chuck targets. These have a small red dot in the center of the 10 ring. Surprisingly, I could see the red dot on the target through the Monarch scope set at 8x, even at 200 yards. This was very nice indeed. I touched off the first round shooting off the bi-pod and could see a hit about 1/2" high and 1/2" right. I managed to get the next four shots off without heating the barrel up, but not waiting in between shots too long either. I don't have the patience for that. After I finished my group, I started shooting pieces of clay pigeon, golf balls, or what ever was left on the dirt bank. The 8x setting was working great for this and think that it's all I will need for this rifle. I don't see myslef shooting at anything past 300yds. I was delighted when I walked up to retrieve my target and saw that the 5 shots had made a nice looking group. I later measured it at .806" center-to-center. For me, that is fantastic for 5 shots at 200 yards.

Now, I mentioned earlier that I was attempting to load these efficiently. Well, the first batch I weighed the charge every 7-10 rounds and found that the Benchmark meters remarkably well. This last batch, I just put the load block under the powder dispenser and dispensed directly into the cases. I visual inspection of all the cases was all that was needed prior to seating bullets. These are seated well off the lands-more than .070"- in all 3 rifles and feed and chamber flawlessly.

This was a good purchase for me, and I will enjoy shooting it a lot. This will also prevent me from looking at A/R style rifles. They don't fit me. Besides, I shoot a lot in northern California or travel through California to get to some of my Oregon spots. Posessing a "black rifle" in California is not a road I'm willing to take.

Sounds as if you scored big time with this one. Congratulations on an excellent rifle. Give yourself a bit of credit, though, for training in shooting (hold, breath control, etc.).

Thanks Dr. Mike. I'm the first to admit that I'm not the best shot from the bench. I might sneak a few in there where they belong, but for 10, 20 shots or more, no way. The 223 will allow me to keep shooting without wearing cather's gear or a shoulder pad due to recoil. I will also be able work with drop charts, MOA adjustments and the BDC a little bit better. I've named this rifle "Trigger Time." I have the next 3 days off, and tomorrow morning will be the beginning of a squirrel popping session. It will be a "splatter of fact."

MTGoat, I have a friend who has the same rifle like you have there, and he swore by it. 223 is and excellent round for volume varminting. I enjoy shooting this cartridge a lot. Although I only own one rifle for this chambering, I do have the Ackley version and a 222 Remington Magnum. I just missed on a 6 digit Remy chambered for the 222 Remington a few months ago.

Don't limit yourself to 200 yards. The fun really start when you extend your shooting range a bit. I have a friend who rolled squirrels at 450 yards with regularity using his Model 70 Varminter. He use H4895 and 50 grain Sierra Blitzking.

MG

Congratulations on a nice rifle, load and shooting. You are golden. :grin:

JD338

JD338":1kjwe1d1 said:
Congratulations on a nice rifle, load and shooting. You are golden. :grin:

+1!

Benchmark is a terrific powder for the .223. A similar load has shot well for me in multiple rifles. It's so stinking consistent you might get bored... :grin: IMR 8208 is very similar, and is another good one.

Enjoy!

Hmmm, I have that same rifle. This next part is really gonna shock you guys... I haven't even mounted a scope on it yet. I need to get off my lazy backside and get it running!

Thanks for the words of encouragement everyone. I do have some gongs set up at 230, 300, 400 yards and a life-size deer gong at 412yds. The 223 will see some action on those for sure. I'm afraid that if I start to like shooting varmints out past 250 or so, that I will want more glass and be forced to buy a new scope, which I really don't want to do. It just might happen though.

I looked at both the SPS varminter and SPS Tactical, too, but the price on the Vanguard was just too good to pass up. I should have bought one in 243 also. :|

Yep, I think I may be forced into buying one as well. Seems like Howa puts them together pretty well... certainly not the crap-shoot that Remington seems to have turned into.

edit: a .243

Congratulations . Weatherby is a good company. :!:

Gm weatherby man":gwel2tto said:
I love my vangaurds, was always wanting one in 223, once I win the lotto then things will be so
Much simpler. Lol

One thing I like about the Vanguards is that, at least around here, the basic ChroMo/synthetic models are pretty cheap, always less than $400, sometimes around $350. Makes it a whole lot easier to get a whole pack of them.

BK":m2yoyk8b said:
Gm weatherby man":m2yoyk8b said:
I love my vangaurds, was always wanting one in 223, once I win the lotto then things will be so
Much simpler. Lol

One thing I like about the Vanguards is that, at least around here, the basic ChroMo/synthetic models are pretty cheap, always less than $400, sometimes around $350. Makes it a whole lot easier to get a whole pack of them.

It's even easier in Oregon since there's no sales tax. One local store has them at $339. With the new style arriving soon, it's a good time to pick up these "obsolete rejects."

BK=Buttt Kicked if you don't get with the program and get that thing scoped. :mrgreen:

Mountain Goat":3u5djmb3 said:
It's even easier in Oregon since there's no sales tax. One local store has them at $339. With the new style arriving soon, it's a good time to pick up these "obsolete rejects."

BK=Buttt Kicked if you don't get with the program and get that thing scoped. :mrgreen:

Yeah, I'm a total slacker. I even have the bases and rings, just need to get around to doing it. Think I'm gonna put a new Redfield 4-12 on it (I'm sitting on two right now).

Who has them for $339?

In my defense, I'm only home about four days a month, and I have a 20 month old that gets a lot of my attention.

I have a 20 month old that gets a lot of my attention.

There is your first priority, without question. A man with children in the home is blessed indeed. The only thing better is grandchildren. :lol:

BK":2y55d4xw said:
Mountain Goat":2y55d4xw said:

Yeah, I'm a total slacker. I even have the bases and rings, just need to get around to doing it. Think I'm gonna put a new Redfield 4-12 on it (I'm sitting on two right now).

Who has them for $339?Bi-Mart puts them at $30 off and Sportsman's Warehouse has them on sale for $349.

In my defense, I'm only home about four days a month, and I have a 20 month old that gets a lot of my attention.

Wow, I wouldn't mind one of those Vanguards for that price! Vanguards are a steal. You get alot of performance in a solidly built rifle. Scotty

Well, I'll check BiMart when I get home next, although I kinda blew through the fun money for a while... just bought an M70, so I need a scope, too, plus I just got word that a McMillan I ordered has come in.

Yesterday was in the mid 70's and a friend and I made it out to shoot some digger squirrels, aka; California Ground Squirrels. They were out most of the day in decent but not huge numbers. We managed to get over 100 rounds off and definitely slung some chunks. I'm not putting more glass on this rifle for now. Using it on 8x with the BDC is great practice. We both had hits well past 300 yards, prone with bi-pods. I think a 16x would be ideal and would help with the near misses way out there, but having a smaller target sure helped my concentration.

Shooting the 400-yard gong was a one-shot deal. I put the second circle of the BDC on the gong and rung a hit on my first try. The BC advantage of the 53gr V-Max over the 50gr V-Max was noticeable at that distance with a L-R crosswind. We didn't notice a difference between the two on animals though, some popped, some dropped.

I was a fun day and will have more to come. It was nice having the grass/star thistle short enough to see the critters in. Later in the year it gets too tall to see them or to lay down in, even without the stickers.

Back