RCBS TURRET PRESS PROBLEM?

GermanShorthair

Beginner
Jan 1, 2008
I have just recieved my RCBS turret press and started loading in it. I noticed that when the case went in the sizing die,the whole die plate raised up about .030 - .040. Is this common??????

Should i sell it and get a Redding turret press?

the lee turret presses do the same thing. When you read the directions it will tell you how to set up the dies which will take into account for the play. Kind of like taking into account back lash. Once that's done it will load to a very accurate degree.

So the ram is straight but the die is being forced at an angle :?:
That cannot be very precise cause we are dealing with brass...unless the shellholder will flex as well.

in the words of joe dirt's father "How does Positraction on a '65 plymouth work? It just does" try it. if it doesn't work rcbs should be more than willing to help you out.

Mine does the same thing. I have had it for over 5 years. I called RCBS when I 1st got it and they said no problems. I guess they were right because I check my completed cartridges in a concentricity gauge and run out is always well within tolerances. And the final test is on the range. I am not happy with anything over 3/4". Good enough for me.

Long

Sorry guys..... maybe i am being too picky...it is a nice press other than that function. I was a tool and die maker before i got into engineering so that pretty much explains it.LOL :roll:

I have (had) the same problem. I had a buddy of mine machine up a couple of thicker replacment washers. They leave just enough slop for the head to turn easily. I still have a little movement, but not nearly what it was.

Steve4102

I am currently having some round shims made at work to go over the nut just to see if that will fix it and then i might replace the nut with a new one....the dimensions don't add up for the correct tolerance or rcbs is not holding thier parts to size.

GermanShorthair":1gxxcv8h said:
Steve4102

....the dimensions don't add up for the correct tolerance or rcbs is not holding thier parts to size.

I have 5 turret heads and I use 2 different size washers. The heads are not machined the same.

I just bought a rcbs turret used to start precision re-loading. When i got it set up i was getting .020 deflection in the turret head.

Here is what i did.
I made a bunch of tinfoil shims and stacked them underneath the washer untill it took up the slop. Then i measured the amount of shim and had my machinest make me a thicker washer.
Problem solved, the turret now has almost no deflection under load. Maybe .001"-.002". I would asume thith the tighter tolerance lube will be more important. But im happy with the results.

Back