re-barrel.... what calibers choices to replace 223?

chet

Handloader
Mar 10, 2006
If I were to re-barrel my M70 223, what would be my options of calibers if I kept the same bolt?
Is a 204 ruger the same head?
also, it is a push feed.... can I buy a CRF bolt that will fit this reciever?
might be a good time to change to the claw

I rebarreled my Rem 700 .223 to .221FB. Killed about a zillion groundhogs with it. The rifle would shoot .5moa @ 200yds all day long.

The .204 would be another interesting change. There are a few 17's that would work as well.

ok so i guess my actual question is:

what cartridges have a .378 head and will fit in my SA mag?

not sure if I got the .378" head right, but you know what I mean :oops:

also if you could tell me a little about each one... 221FB??? that stands for fire ball, right? sounds llike a cool name! how does it compare?

thanks!

You could go with any of these...

17 Fire ball
17 Remington
204 Ruger
221 Fire Ball
222 Rem
222 Rem Mag
223 Rem
223 AI

JD338

Go old school with the 222 Mag! That is a cool round! Plus, it has a little extra over the 223. Classic varminter. SCotty

The 17/22 Fireball are limited on range if comparing them to the 222/223AI and the 17 Fireball and 17Rem can also be limited due to conditions like wind. If you shoot the 223AI you gain about 100yds over the standard 222/223/222mag and another option would be the 6mm on the 223 case (6x45)or 222mag case (6x47)you could also ackley them. If looking at just one might consider the 223AI or 222AI be easy to keep tuned and give you the extra yardage over the standard calibers.

I shoot the 17 Fireball,17Rem,221Fireball,222,222AI,223,223AI,222mag and 6x47. I've looked at doing a 204 just cann't get exicted about that one.

Good luck

Hopefully you have a ton of 223Rem brass. Given that, I would go for the 223 Ackley Improved for these reasons : (1) if the conversion is done right and with a good barrel, you will likely have a more accurate rifle. (2) the Ackley Improved cartridge should provide more range and energy down range than the 223 has provided. (3) Since you already have brass and probably bullets, the Ackley Improved conversion will prove to be the most ecconomical, in terms of ammo. (4) Coolness factor! How many riflemen that you know, shoot a 223 Ackley Improved chambered rifle?
Steven A.

204ruger sounds fun...... but everyone around here has one :roll:

duecemag and 223ai are interseting :twisted:

tell me more about this hoped up blown out 6mil sucka?????

Well.... been doin some research.....
the 6mm's are quite slow, and i do already own a 243win....

I think I've narrowed it down to two choices:

.20 tactical or .223remAI

both of them utilizing my existing stock of 223 rem brass
both requiring a purchase of new dies
the 20 may or may not require a step 1 forming die (I have enough brass, I could afford to ruin a few)
both would require fire forming
I'm about out of 224 bullets, so no argument there either way.

so which one do you think has the best "cool factor"? :lol:

what about barrel length?
24"?
26"?
why not 25"?

I'm thinkin #4 fluted 8)

If I was building a varmiter I would go with a 26" #6. If your going to be packing it dropping to a #4 and 26" would save some weight. The longer the barrel the less ridged the barrel, as it does with reduction in diamiter, and the less effiient the AI becomes.

Increasing barrel diameter by X increases barrel stiffnes by the cube of x
Increasing barrel lenght by y decreases barrel stiffnes by the cube of y
or something like that....

Wow, that is some math right there JMAD! You are way up on your skills! That is good info to pack away though. Thanks for the actual method. What about if the barrel is fluted? How does that change the figures? Scotty

I'm not sure what flutes would do. I would think that they would reduce the stiffness as well, but I'm not sure.

Fluting a barrel does reduce it's stiffness.

If you have two barrels of the same diameter, the standard barrel will be stiffer.

If you have two barrels of the same weight the fluted barrel will be stiffer.

I have all kind of barrels on my varmit rifles some are my walking rifles so weight is alittle concern. My 6x47 has a 20" bull barrel only reason for that short barrel it's a factory 40x as soon as I replace the barrel it be longer.

Both my 223AI have 27" long bull barrels reason for that is I get more shots before the barrel heats up and I have to change rifles one of my 222 and 17Rem have the same type barrel.

My 243AI has a mag contour 28" long barrel I paid alittle extra to get that length and it's not set up as volume type shooting rifle.

Both my 6RemAI have 26" long barrels one's flute other isn't both are pretty good shooters. Fluting sometimes we'll let you move up in barrel contour but keep the same weigh as non flute barrel. I prefer a longer barrel rifle 24" to 28".

Back