Rebarrel Which Company?

tjen

Handloader
Apr 25, 2007
I am having my 221 rem rebarreled and Shilen is not rebarreling guns till mid year. Thats who did my 358win. That said I looking at ER Shaw & Pac-Nor to do the work. Any thoughts these or orther companies to do the job?

Its Rem 700 laminated and other than 221Rem it will be a 24" factory contour or close to it. In chromoly and blued. It has a very black bluing now and ER Shaw says they do a very black bluing. Next is groove number and twist. I will use 40-50gr bullets so was thinking a 1:12 would work great for even long tipped 50gr bullets. Any pereferances on the number of grooves? Three to five seems to be the most comment. Any reasons for a certon groove number in a .224" bore? At this time my go to bullets are 40gr berger HPV and 45gr Hornady spire point that only require a 1:15 twist. I fore get what twist the stock rem rifle is in 221.

The barrel and action will be squared and blot lugs lapped. Most likely pillar bedded and free floated too.

You might check Douglas in WV? They're good barrels and they will do the work. Not sure what their schedule is in terms of turnaround, but worth a check. A friend of mine has a Douglas barreled 257Wby that prints tiny little groups. They did the whole job for him.

Many gunsmiths re-barrel rifles, and Rem 700's are easy for them to work with.

Might see if there's a well-regarded gunsmith available locally, or one you could send the rifle to. Some even keep an inventory of the more popular barrels on hand. Or you can order one from Brownells or other sources, and have a smith build it. The rifle doesn't have to be re-worked by one of the barrel making companies.

Guy

You might want to contact Rob Canze at Williams Gun Sight in Davison, MI. 810 653 2131
Rob built my 280 AI.

JD338

Check with Curt Mendenhall down in Sutherlin Or. 541 459 9127. He is about three months out on simple projects and about a year on a complete build. I've seen his work and it's good.

Out of the two you mentioned definately pac nor.

ive yet to see a rifle from er shaw shoot 1/2 or better consistently.

another option is hart. They will rebarrel and true up your action for like $600, but take 6-8 mos about like pac nor, but a lot better barrel then er shaw...

I will not do Shaw. From what I have seen they are slightly better than factory (at best) and I am not talking Savage Sako Tikka factory.

I think I will go with Pac-nor, I have time. The used rifle I bought shoots OK but not as good as my other 22 CF's and the chamber seems big and the throat very long. So I think its time for a match grade barrel. I will see what groove and twist they recomment for the fire ball. Plus they will do all the work I want done on this rifle.

Thanks everyone.

Yes my 35 Whelen is a PacNor and my 280AI is also one. If this 280AI shoots as well as the 35 Whelen I will be more than pleased :wink:

Blessings,
Dan

I have used ER Shaw twice and a third is still at the factory, McGowen, and Adams & Bennett barrels on custom rifles. Every rifle shoots sub MOA with my handloads. In my opinion, so much of how you think the barrel performs has to do with how you clean it, what you don't use to clean it, and how hot you get the barrel. Good luck.

Much depends on what your accuracy requirements are. Many of the "cheap" barrels will shoot sub MOA. I want one to shoot 1/4-3/8" and that doesn't happen often with cheap barrels. I built a .338 Edge for a buddy of mine and he took it out last weekend. He shot groups from .15" to .50" with the first loads tried. That is what good barrels do for you. BTW that was with a Remington 700 that had the face of the receiver trued and the lugs lapped. No where near a full action truing. I built another gun recently that shot .211" with shots 2 through 4 through a brand new barrel and 5 through 7 went .318" with the same load just with the bullets seated deeper.

Many factory rifles have no trouble doing MOA or better.

A fine custom barrel should do 1/2 MOA consistently with ease.

Depending what you want to do with them both are more then adequate.

Hoping the 7mm Bartlein Im getting will be under 1/2 without to much trouble!!

Back