Recoil pad

.280 Remington

Handloader
Jan 17, 2012
Guys/Gals

I need to put a recoil pad on my 300wsm and I'm having trouble finding one that I do not need to "grind to fit". I don't have the tools available to do such a thing and don't really want to pay any one. The rifle is a Weatherby Vanguard Sub-MOA 300wsm and I can't find the limbsaver one that will fit. Do you all have any experience putting a new one on that was a "precision fit" or any other brand that may fit this rifle...

Thanks,

Mike

Not much help here but if you have a good gunsmith around they can do grind to fit or should be able to do so.

Mike, you don't need special tools to fit a pad. It might take a bit, but a pad can done with a wood block and some 80 grit. Freeze the pad, mark the outline and work slowly.

Pre fit works sometimes, but I have had 0 luck with them Mike. If you can get a buddy with a belt sander or even a cheapy, it is worth it. I just have never been happy with a prefit, and I doubt you are going to want to mess up the lines of a nice rifle with the pre fit.

I hope you have some luck with finding one, but I bet you can make a grind to fit work with a little work.

I do not know what model rifle that you wan to put a pad on? I have installed several Simm's Limbsaver pads on: Browning A-Bolt, Marlin 1895, Winchester Model 70, Sako Model 85 Weatherby Mark V Fibermarks and Beretta 687 shotguns, to name a few. I rough grind them with a Dremel cutter and finish cutting with a rasp file. They turn out just great and look as though they were factory installed. The only hard part is if the stock pad base is curved and has to be sanded flat.

Mike,

Grind to fit is the best way to go. Freeze the pad and grind it on a 12" disc sander to your scribe mark and you are set to go.
Take a look at the Pachmyer Decelerator reciol pads, they are the best.

JD338

As has been stated, don't avoid a grind-to-fit pad. They are quite easy to fit to your stock.

My issue with the deceleator is that it is thicker than the standard pad on my rifle.The new pad "increased" my length of pull so the pad catches on my shirt when I mount the riflle. Sooooooooooo now I have to decide if I am crafty enough to saw the stock off and remount the pad.

Bill, I would use a miter box and fine toothed finish saw, very carefully. Duct tape the stock before cutting it to keep any chips from breaking loose. I have not had an issue with just straight pad exchange except with Model 70 (USRAC) pads which are only about 3/8 inch thick. The Simms pads are normally 1 inch thick which can be and issue. I guess that the longer pull does not bother me much but it does some folks.

I guess I'm the odd man out here but having owned both the limb saver and decelerator I'll take the limb saver any day over the decelerator. But get the one you like.

Bill

OU812":1icoatm0 said:
I guess I'm the odd man out here but having owned both the limb saver and decelerator I'll take the limb saver any day over the decelerator. But get the one you like.

Bill

Same here Bill. I like the Limbsavers alot. The ones that came on my Remington's got a little gummy but the others ones I have installed myself hold up fine. I don't mind Pachmayr's a bit though.

I've used both Pachmayr Decelerator and Limb Saver pads on a variety of rifles; I can't honestly say that I prefer one over another. Does that make me odder than you, Bill? :roll:

I've also used both the Decelerator and Limbsaver, I feel like the Limbsaver takes out a noticable amount more felt recoil. That said, the Decelerator is my second choice.

Simms pad number 10102 is the template for the Vanguard wood stock. My Mark V Alaskan .340 Bee Tupperware took the 10018 Simms pad (I think) and I had to Dremel grind the rectangular stock inlay off the bottom of the pad which is no big deal. Go to Limbsaver.com/technical and look at the templates and dimensions against your stock. Usually you can find a match.

Thanks everyone for the responses, I'm guessing it's going to have to be a grind to fit, much to my chagrin.

When finished, the grind to fit pads look sharper, Mike. Give us some pictures of before and after.

Back