Recoil pad

I would strongly suggest a grind-to-fit pad and to have a qualified gunsmith do the installation, especially if the stock needs to be shortened. Decelerator pads must be very close to stock size before grinding, else you will grind into the steel support plate within the pad and the job will be botched. Do that once and you might think twice about saving $40 in labor cost. A well equipped gunshop will have the correct fixture to do all the grinding off the stock, so that there will be no harm to the stock finish. If you really want to try this though, I would recommend a trial run on a less expensive firearm first.

I have used Decelerators that come on the Winchesters I have, and really liked them. I just got a rifle with a Limbsaver grind-to-fit on it, and I enjoy it quite a bit. I'd be hard pressed (no pun intended) to decide which I like better.

I'm also not terribly bothered by the recoil of the guns I shoot. The 300H&H and 300WSM are my biggest kickers, so I don't have anything real bad in the recoil department....but I don't mind the recoil at all, so maybe I'm not the best gauge of a recoil pad, lol.

The only gun I've ever shot that bothered me with recoil was a Mossberg 695 slug gun, shooting Lightfield 3" 1.25oz slugs. That actually made me feel nauseous after shooting 5 Lightfields and a handful of Remington and Hornady slugs. Maybe a dozen rounds total, and I'd had more than enough.

All the above. Also, the decelerator comes in different thicknesses. I put one on a 257 Wby that was .6" thick. I didn't have to cut the stock. I have learned though that shooting a rifle with a stock that has too long a length of pull is to be avoided. It may work in the shop but it doesn't work up on the mountain when trying to make a fast, smooth shot. I like the de-celerator for grind to fit. It seems to trim up better for me. I also learned that too thick of a soft pad lets that scope come further back during recoil. Just something to think about.

Back