Recommend me a scope under $500

ajvigs

Handloader
Nov 1, 2012
Need a scope for my new 7mm Wsm. I would like turrets, and possibly a mil-dot reticle. The rifle will be my new LR rig. 15 power is the most I would like.

Sign up for Pro-Motive, join the Marine team and cash in on your Zeiss discount for their 4.5x14 with turrets. They will come in just under your 500.00 mark and give you an awesome piece of glass.

Under $500? Options abound:

1. Minox 3-15x42 - turrets, great glass, only flaw is no side focus for parallax. If that's a necessity, move up to the 3-15x50 or the 4-20x50. I have the 4-20, and can highly recommend it. Only failing? No mildot reticle. A good, simple ballistic reticle, though. I have that reticle, and it's simple and uncluttered. I recommend it. Minox even published subtensions for the reticle at various powers, so you can tune it to your needs. Very handy. Prices range from the $330-$420 range for the open box scopes at cameralandny.com. Well worth a hard look.

2. Bushnell Legend Ultra HD 4.5-14x44 - This one is the new iteration of the old Elite 3200, but with better coatings. Fully multicoated, Rainguard HD, and gin clear. I looked through one the other day and was very pleased. If I were scoping a longer range rig like that Coyote and my budget mattered, I'd strongly consider this scope. Mildot version is $300. Only thing you suffer here is not the best turrets. Great scope for the dollar, though.

3. Bushnell Elite Tactical 5-15x40 - This one brings turrets and a more traditional AO rather than side focus. It's the old Elite 3200 body with the 4200 guts in it, best I can guess. It's a great scope, and $450 pricepoint keeps it in your range. Also has a mildot reticle.

4. Vortex Viper HS LR 4-16x44 - This one is $50 over your stated $500 cap, but it offers an excellent turret setup, great glass, service on par with the best in the business, 30mm tube, plenty of elevation adjustment, and everything you've asked for except the mildot reticle. There is a non-LR version with an excellent BDC reticle, but the turrets are capped. There are options for aftermarket but they get you up in cost above the LR model, which has a better exposed turret even than the aftermarket stuff for the non-LR. Either is a good scope, though. The non-LR is under $500, so that's something to consider. I'd probably dig and find the extra $50 and buy the LR if I went this route.

5. Nikon Monarch 3 4-16x42 - This one comes with the mildot reticle for $470, and you can get turrets from Nikon - perhaps even one tuned to your specific load of choice. The Monarch is a great scope, but the one hang up I have with these is the diameter of the ocular - it's huge. If that doesn't bother you, it's certainly a good option. The turrets would likely push you up over the $500 mark, though, so bear that in mind.

I don't know what I'd choose were I in your shoes. One other option, at about $650-700, is a Zeiss Conquest (old style) in 4.5-14x44 or 6.5-20x44 with turrets on it. They're harder to find, and more than your budget, but they'd be the best choice of all I've listed, for sure - and you'd pay more for it.

You have some great options, though. And just think, if you went cheaper now, you can save up for a varmint rifle, swap the cheap scope to it, and re-scope this 7mmWSM with something more expensive after your wife forgets about this one...

dubyam":3608bo2u said:
And just think, if you went cheaper now, you can save up for a varmint rifle, swap the cheap scope to it, and re-scope this 7mmWSM with something more expensive after your wife forgets about this one...

Ah, that dubyam, always thinking ahead. :mrgreen:

I really like Zeiss and if I can figure out tbe promotive deal I may opt for it

That sounds like a heckuva deal. I can vouch for the Conquest scope, if it's available. It's great glass on my 300'bee.

ajvigs":1xro5rlc said:
I really like Zeiss and if I can figure out tbe promotive deal I may opt for it

Let me know if you need help. If you like, they have Bushnells as well for good discounts. The Zeiss is a real deal though. You likely be able to get the mounts and rings along with the scope and stay within your 500.00 mark.

I started the process with the Promotive team. Just waiting for a response and I will be good to go.

ajvigs":22nslnmi said:
I started the process with the Promotive team. Just waiting for a response and I will be good to go.

They should get back with you pretty quick, at least within 48 hours. Once your accepted, the Marine team has about 250 vendors that offer substantial discounts. I've used the Leupold, Zeiss and a few others quite a lot and have really liked the Zeiss pro deal. Usually shipping within hours of my order and the optics arrive within 24 hours due to them shipping from Chesterfield Va.

I like the Talley lightweights. One piece base/lower ring half. Super lightweight. Strong with a lot of holding surface area. I have them on a Colt Light Rifle and they're terrific.

ajvigs":vsy4lles said:
What's the consensus on rings and bases? Talley or Badger Ordinance?

I'm a big fan of EGW rails and Leupold or Warne QRW or PRWs. Strong set up and will not break the bank either.

SJB358":2vb4kopf said:
ajvigs":2vb4kopf said:
What's the consensus on rings and bases? Talley or Badger Ordinance?

I'm a big fan of EGW rails and Leupold or Warne QRW or PRWs. Strong set up and will not break the bank either.

Can you send a link or two?

Excellent base & rings, but maybe a bit spendy:

http://www.seekinsprecision.com/

Glen builds 'em very nice though, no doubt. If you tell him I sent you, be prepared to duck! :mrgreen: He might think I'm hitting him up for more stuff for the SWAT team...

Guy

I went with the setup SJB recommended, and I went ahead and ordered the Zeiss 4.5-14x44 on my pro deal :)

The mediums should work fine. The rail gets it up enough most of the time.

Glad the deal worked for you. Hard to beat their price.

Back