Recovering bullets...

Bluejay

Beginner
Apr 6, 2006
Hi gents,
what method can be used for recovering bullets (@ the target range) to check expansion ?
Someone told me to use soaked newspapers.....

Awaiting your replies.

Thanks
:wink:

Bluejay:
I stuff magazines and catalogs tight into a box. and use that. Most bullets don't go very far into that slick paper. I don't know that it compares favorably with expansion on a game animal, but at least I an compare one bullet and load with another.
Smitty of the North

Soaking wet newspapers are a great bullet test medium. They provide plenty of resistance but have enough water in them to resemble animal tissue.

The only problem is they are heavy and messy. You need a pretty good stack of them to stop a premium bullet and you will have do dig through a mess of paper to find the bullets. I usually make a big stack and shoot several bullets into it before I bother to search for the projectiles.

As expected, Nosler Partitions did the best in the tests I did, but I was surprised at how well a 150 grain 7mm Remington Core-Lockt bullet held up.

Have fun, Randy

I have used water soaked phone books in the past and it works quite well. The only problem is that its a mess to clean up.

I have been using 1 gallon milk jugs filled with water for years. I line up 7-8 jugs in line on a 2x12 plank and shoot into the center of the first jug.
You will recover 30-06 class cartridges in jug 6. 338 RUM w/ PTs are found in jug 8. Here is an example of what you can expect from water.
338RUM225grPT1.jpg

JD338[/img]

Im just wondering how accurate your results are?? it doesnt make sence that the bullet is loosing more weight at a 100yds then 50..... or at 300yds there is less then all the rest... Are your #s mixed up??

metallica":2pq868ry said:
Im just wondering how accurate your results are?? it doesnt make sence that the bullet is loosing more weight at a 100yds then 50..... or at 300yds there is less then all the rest... Are your #s mixed up??

There is only 3.4 grs total difference in this test, which I think is very small. If you look closely, you will notice less "mushrooming" as the distance increases and the velocity drops.
Water is actually a very tough test media for bullets.
One more thing to consider is that you will get less penetration at higher velocity. Playing with exterior ballistics cna be a lot of fun!

JD338

I have always used wet newspaper. All I want it for is to compare different bullets to each other. I did a big test a couple months ago with several different 7mm bullets I was testing out of my 7 RM. I was also surprised at how good the 7mm 150g Core lokt did. I have shot other core lokts 120g 25-06, 180g 300 Win and they held up very poorly and were flat as a pancake at 100 yards. I have found that at 100 yards, the partititons and AB's will go around 10-12". The btips and core lokts and what not go anywhere from 6"-9". Its kinda fun seeing how bullets look after you shoot them.

Wet phonebooks/newspaper. Amazing resemblance to game.

POP":1m5cpxhd said:
Wet phonebooks/newspaper. Amazing resemblance to game.

I agree Pop.
The wet paper will also show you the shock wave and not shrink back like living tissue does. Downside is the mess you have to clean up. :cry:

JD338

I also use wet phone books. I have found bullets recovered from game to look amazingly like the ones taken from wetpack. Dry paper really tears a bullet up. I use cardboard packing boxes that copy paper comes in. Line it w/ plastic trash bags & stack the wet phone books in tight. The boxes are just about 18" long when packed. Placed end to end, they stop any expanding bullet I have tried so far, usually in about 20" or less. If you are carefull you can get 5 shots into the stack. Left is from wet phonebooks, right is from a big kudu bull, 210grNP from my .338-06. :grin:
210GRNP.jpg

fredj338:

Appalling Bullet Failure. Thet boolit shudda gone plum through thet kudubull.

Smitty of the North

SOTN":2lh5vfuv said:
fredj338:

Appalling Bullet Failure. Thet boolit shudda gone plum through thet kudubull.

Smitty of the North

yeah! :evil:

GShould have gone through! and then turn 180* around and gone through again! :mrgreen:

Sorry I could not resist! :lol:

Here at Nosler we use Ballistic Gelatin, Glue and a new wax medium. The newspaper/ phonebook method does work great, but I prefer the old fashioned way. Recovering them from critters.

JD338, I am still looking for my recovered 338 210 Partitions. Great board with the shot samples by the way.

Thanks Nosler 3.

Post some pictures of your recovered 210's when you can.

JD338

An exit truely would have been impressive as the bull took the round in the front of his chest 1/4 away slightly. The bullet was just under the hide on the last offside rib. Perfect performance, very dead Kudu. :grin:

I have used phone books yoou can get them very easly at the en of each year best from big centers . they work great get them wet use some twine and bind them I have used barnes x bullets in 243 also bt and NP all 95 grs and by far barnes bleww noslers away with 11.5 inches and 98% weight retained bt 5 inche 45% partions 7inches and 65% all around 3000 fps +- 50fps on 3006 12inches 180 pations 65% retained weight barnes does not shoot well in this gun so i stay with nosler

Back