Refinishing a Rem 700 BDzl wood stock?

There is some nice character in the wood, and your work has brought it out nicely. Good job.

Honestly, I usually go for the "Browning high-gloss" look but that is very nice. Your work is worthy of a very striking piece of wood. Very Nice! Hope it shoots for you as good as it looks. CL

Turned out great, very nice work. I’ve never liked Remington factory finish.
Well done, looks great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well done!
A rifle worthy of pride of ownership and accomplishment!
It will be one of those rifles that will be pulled out of the safe from time to time just admire, as you while away the hours of a long winter, in front of a fire with some hot beverage, dreaming of new adventures to share in the coming hunting season.

Thanks all and it shoots as well as it looks. JD and I did a little load testing and I was pleasantly surprised. It turns out it really likes 58 grains of RL22, WLR primers behind 130 grain Power Points. I put three into sub 1/2” group at 100 yards. That same load blew through four 1 gallon water jugs like nobody’s business. An unperfected 150 Partition load blew through five and kept trucking. Needless to say the old girl isn’t getting retired just yet. I’ll defer to JD338 for pics of the recovered bullets. Both held 60% or better of their original weight.

Very nice work on that rifle Brinky! That's a danged classy set up! I dig that oil finish.

That turned out really nice and it does shoot as good as it looks!

That rifle shoots as good as it looks.
Here are the recovered bullets.
The 150 gr PT was found on the two track about 30 yards past the jugs.

JD338

Attachments

• 56686.jpeg
    56686.jpeg
    125.3 KB · Views: 413
  • 56687.jpeg
    56687.jpeg
    123.6 KB · Views: 413
Both of them look darned good. Both will knock the stuffing out of a deer.

The bottom one is a 130 grain power point. I picked that because I was looking for a plain Jane old school bullet to hunt and keep to the classic old school loads my uncle used. Just for fun. He shot over 700 deer with this rifle using old cup and core 130’s. That Partition was damn impressive though. Neither one of us expected it to blow through all those water jugs and keep on going. It was just a book load using either IMR4831 or RL22. I didn’t mark it down as I only had 20 bullets and used the load to get the iron sights on paper. They’ll be be on my next order though for sure.

Brinky72":30pe2br3 said:
The bottom one is a 130 grain power point. I picked that because I was looking for a plain Jane old school bullet to hunt and keep to the classic old school loads my uncle used. Just for fun. He shot over 700 deer with this rifle using old cup and core 130’s. That Partition was damn impressive though. Neither one of us expected it to blow through all those water jugs and keep on going. It was just a book load using either IMR4831 or RL22. I didn’t mark it down as I only had 20 bullets and used the load to get the iron sights on paper. They’ll be be on my next order though for sure.

I know the 130 gets a pile of press in the 270 and for great reason, but I LOVE the 150 Partition in the 270 Winchester kicking along at 2900-3000. It is usually accurate and holds onto energy a bit better. It has been excellent in both the 270 Winchester and 270 WSM for me. Kinda a one and done sorta bullets, good for deer through moose.

salmonchaser":mjy1brex said:
Looks like a good bear too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. That bear was a victim of circumstance so to speak. There was a much bigger one that I was hoping for. It was a cub-less sow that weighed around 250 lbs or so. I shot her with my 44 mag pistol over hounds. Deciding factor was that before she treed she killed an 18 month old blue tick hound. Some may disagree with that but it was a legal bear and a dog died on the run. She was not wasted. Meat hide and bone were used. The next day the guys granddaughter took a 520 pounder. The one I was after.

SJB358":3q3r3szq said:
Brinky72":3q3r3szq said:

I know the 130 gets a pile of press in the 270 and for great reason, but I LOVE the 150 Partition in the 270 Winchester kicking along at 2900-3000. It is usually accurate and holds onto energy a bit better. It has been excellent in both the 270 Winchester and 270 WSM for me. Kinda a one and done sorta bullets, good for deer through moose.

I’m thinking that’s were I may end up. My plan for the immediate future is to knock over a few deer with the 130’s for nostalgia and then hammer out a perfectly tuned 150 Partition load with RL22. Just like you said a “one and done, mice to moose” load. I did the same with my dad’s 280 that I inherited. I have a bunch of 145 grain Speer BTSP loads that he used and will have them for nostalgic reasons but I also have a bunch of 160 partitions for my heavy lifting. For practical hunting fro 0-400 yards which is what I hunt, it’s hard to beat a Partition or a good plain old cup and core at reasonable speeds.

Brinky72":2kf1y28r said:
SJB358":2kf1y28r said:
Brinky72":2kf1y28r said:

I’m thinking that’s were I may end up. My plan for the immediate future is to knock over a few deer with the 130’s for nostalgia and then hammer out a perfectly tuned 150 Partition load with RL22. Just like you said a “one and done, mice to moose” load. I did the same with my dad’s 280 that I inherited. I have a bunch of 145 grain Speer BTSP loads that he used and will have them for nostalgic reasons but I also have a bunch of 160 partitions for my heavy lifting. For practical hunting fro 0-400 yards which is what I hunt, it’s hard to beat a Partition or a good plain old cup and core at reasonable speeds.

Agreed, look at RL23 as well. Kinda the temp stable version of 22.

Back