Reloading the 350 Legend issues

HBAR-156mm

Beginner
Jul 18, 2011
What is the size of your expanded plug? I have a .357 and the Winchester 145 FMJ are sliding in with no tension.

Straight wall cartridges are different animals.
The full length sizer gives you the neck tension.
Your 350 legend die will have a decapper rod, but no expander ball. In bottle neck cases the top of the sizing die is smaller than the needed diameter, and as the recapping rod comes out of the case it enlarges the opening to a couple thousandths smaller.
In a straight wall sizer, you would not have room for the expander, the case inside the full length sizer.

Here’s a picture of my 45/70 Government die and decapper.

4d351d2a1ba15e6b1cee8b7ccb9a1fd5.jpg

You can see it is no where near the right diameter.

Your 350 legend probably looks the same. It’s normal.

You need to work on seating tension my screwing the die up or in this case down. Let me know how it goes.

I think you have a fine cartridge. Your going to love it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

One more thing, while I had the rod out on my 45/70, when I look into the FL die, I can see a constriction at the top. 350 legend might be a little harder to see, but if the dies are still shined, you’ll see the transition point.

Fascinating hobby.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

After talking with RCBS several times explaining the issue, they sent me a 9mm/.353 expander to work with the .355 bullets that are made for the 350 legend.

HBAR-156mm":13i2k1aw said:
After talking with RCBS several times explaining the issue, they sent me a 9mm/.353 expander to work with the .355 bullets that are made for the 350 legend.

Interesting! (y)

Guy

Back