Rem 7600/35 Whelen

wisconsinteacher

Handloader
Dec 2, 2010
I started working on my 7600 35 Whelen yesterday with 250 Hot Cors and Varget. The barrel has been cut down to 18.5" and it has a 2-8 Nikon on it.

55.0gr-2.803" 2288/2267/2266 fps
55.5gr-1.712" 2294/2297/2281 fps
56.0gr-1.370" 2315/2312/2292 fps

I would like to get closer to 2400 fps with this rifle. The trigger in this rifle is BAD. There is about a mile of travel and it is hard to shoot of the bench. I need to look into getting the Timney kit or sending it out to get fixed. All in all, a good first time out.

WT, a sloppy trigger can sure give you grief with load development. I had my trigger done in my CDL and the smith thought it was great. I admit that it was better than when it came out of the box but I still did not personally like it. I then had a Timney installed and all is fine :wink:.
Since then I have had Timneys installed in all my rifles. My nephew has the twin to my CDL and he had the same trigger job done and he loves the Xpro.
I have been advised by a number of my friends that the rifle Basix's is cheaper & a real good trigger as well. In my opinion cream of the crop is a Jewel trigger but they are quite pricey.

Blessings,
Dan

I have a Timney in a Weatherby Vanguard and love that thing. I also have a rifle Basics in my M700 Classic and it has given me some minor problems. If I were to buy another trigger it would be the Timney for a hunting rifle.

Looks like a great start. Yes those Remington triggers are BAD, almost dislocate your shoulder trying to shoot them.

Those 7600's are great woods rifles, but I sure didn't enjoy shooting mine at the range. I had a carbine '06 that I swear had more recoil due to the short barrel. It certainly had way more muzzle blast. I wasn't aware there was a trigger upgrade, but I'd encourage you to get it. I gave mine to my nephew. Those 250s should handle any northern or Wisconsin bluff country buck that walks.

This rifle jumps when you touch one off. I do have a Sims slide on recoil pad on it for range work but will take it off for hunting.

As far as the trigger, there are a few places that will work them and there is a Timney kit you can install. I have a few emails out with some smiths to see if they are willing to work on the trigger.

I am hope I can get to 2400 fps with the 18.5" barrel. If I can get there, I know the 250 will do the job.

I know that during dusk hours, this rifle will produce some muzzle blast.

When I used to shoot mine at a full public range, there'd always be at least one guy that would ask during cease fire, "what the hell are you shooting over there?". The 30-06 is a bit of a noisy flame thrower with an 18.5" barrel. I imagine your Whelen is the same. Still, that carbine points like a 30-30, with more authority.

tried going up little bit with my charges and ended up at 57.5 grains of Varget but I could not get past 2325-2340 fps. I am guessing the short barrel is holding the speeds back. My groups opened up as I went up .5 in so I plan on taking 56.0 grains and seating the bullet deeper for the next time out.

2340 fps with a 250 grain bullet should do the job on deer here in WI!!!!

wisconsinteacher":34i5n32s said:
2340 fps with a 250 grain bullet should do the job on deer here in WI!!!!

Or about anything else you may hunt. That is somewhat more than I get with a 250 grain Kodiak from my 356. I've taken moose, elk, black bear and grizzly with that load (and even with the 220 grain Speer).

I'm with the Good Dr on this one Teach! That is plenty fast enough, and from what I have read about those Speers they will work fine for you! I just know that every animal I ever killed ( and its more than a few) with my 35 Whelen AI had that "Oh my God, I've been shot" look on their face! ha. Something about a moderate speed medium caliber on big game! Also, at these speeds, I would be tempted to try some of the Hornady 250 round nose bullets or even some special order Hawk round nose. I hope you get a big one this Fall!

I had a 7600 Whelen. It's one of those guns I could kick myself for selling. The most hair raising encounter I have ever had in my life I had hunting Kodiak browns in a thick fog holding that gun. I standardized on 225 grain bullets. I never measured my speed. Accuracy was satisfying with just about every load I concocted. Trophy Bonded Bear Claws would penetrate the front shoulder of a blacktail and exit the opposite side back leg, smashing bones in both joints.

Shot one black bear with those 225 gr Trophy Bonded bullets loaded to 2660 fps with AA 2015, it worked well. Tough bullet..........

I have a 7600 in 35 Whelen that has had the trigger reworked. I'm shooting 225 gr Sierra GameKings and 225 gr Accubonds with Reloader 15 and performance and accuracy has been very good.

That Timney trigger fix is awesome in the 7600/870 style triggers. It will make a world of difference in your trigger.

Back