Remember way back when . . .

longwinters

Handloader
Oct 10, 2004
I was looking for a rifle for the son in law. Had several good recommendations but just not the right opportunity and timing. Well the day finally came :grin: Had a my best buddy willing to part with a Rem 700 Mtn rifle in 270. He just bought it this year and put about one box of shells thru it (as he also bought 3 other rifles). I knew it was a shooter so for 500 beans for the rifle and Leo rings and base how could I go wrong. I put a spare scope on it and took it out tonite to work up some loads. It really liked most everything. A couple kinds of factory loads and also my own loads with 140 Accubonds and 140 Partitions. Both shoot to the same point of aim at 100 yds and both use the same load as my 280. 58.5 grains of H4831. Grouping at just a smidge over 1/2". The trigger is a bit stiff for me but I really like the wider (Than my Sako's) trigger shoe. You can really feel just how you are putting the finger pressure on the trigger, whether it is even or not.

Funny thing is that the son in law and I were talking last nite (he lives 6.5 hours away) and he asked if he could borrow one of my rifles for the upcoming season . . . his 1st season, having come from a non-hunting family. I had no problem in telling him sure I had one he could use. He will be floored when I tell him Merry Christmas. Cannot wait to see the look on his face :lol:

Long

Long,

Very cool! 8) Best of luck to you and your son-in-law this comming season.

JD338

Longwinters,
If I ever get married, I hope I am blessed with a father-in-law like yourself!
I hope you and your son-in-law have many fine hunts together. :grin:

Back