Remington 141 on bench.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
Tested my old 35 Remington this morning after doing some trigger work on it. Accomplished a new personal best with iron sights. Previous best group I had shot with iron's was with my old 250 savage. This one has it beat by 1/4".

This rifle has always shot factory Remington core lokts pretty unbelievably well. The first 3 shots I ever took out of this gun was right at 1/2" group. As long as they're the older plain green and yellow boxes that just say Remington high velocity. The newer boxes that say "Express" don't shoot as well. They seem hotter as I sometimes get sticky extraction with those. I have both.

Here's the group. Could I repeat it? No, I doubt it, but this gun does consistently shoot these really well. Trigger job certainly helps. I need to chrono this box then pull the bullets on the "Express" boxes and come up with a load that duplicates the velocity of the older boxes.

Don't know why it's high since having it apart. Or maybe it was me. I need to either change my front sight picture or lower the tang peep post.

And here's the old girl on the bench. After that group she deserved to have her picture taken. Ha.

Well, she's looking right smart in that photo for sure. Yeah, whether you can ever reproduce that group of not, it is still worth shouting about. You can be certain that I'd be hanging onto the target, having it laminated and carrying it in my wallet to show to anyone I could.

Yes sir Dr Mike, I doubt I can repeat a group that tight, but worth keeping.

That was the only 3 shots I took with it, figured I better quit while I was ahead. Ha. So those shots were from a cold bore, but with a 35 Rem every shot is a cold bore shot unless you'd happen to rapid fire them.

Here's a pic of the very first 3 shots I ever took with it when it had the heavier trigger. I just measured this target and it actually is .367, so better than I thought it had been. Haven't shot anything that tight with it since and don't shoot it much, but several times it's been well under 3/4" as long as I stick to the old plain box ammo.

Nice shooting ST!
That is awesome accuracy. Since your not that old, go treat yourself to a green plaid wool jacket from LL Bean. They have the classic look to go with the rifle buy look way cooler!

JD338

Rem 200 gr Cl have given good groups for me plus make a blood trail a blind man could follow as a friend use to say. RL7 and 158 gr .357 jacketed hollow points are fun to shoot as well and it gives half inch groups all touching at 50 yds in my mod 760. Don't know if you want to try them or not but the Hornady 200 gr Lever load is a deer thumper also. Dan.

Only problem w/ Core lokts is that they kill stuff with boring regularity, particularly when placed w/ that much precision! :) . Gotta make you smile. CL

JD338":27c7s8v0 said:
Nice shooting ST!
That is awesome accuracy. Since your not that old, go treat yourself to a green plaid wool jacket from LL Bean. They have the classic look to go with the rifle buy look way cooler!

JD338

Ha! I'm getting gray enough. If I'd let my beard grow out I could probably pull the look off. :)

But I wouldn't need to buy one from LL Bean, my wife likes to buy those old woolrich coats, and clean them up and resell them. She sometimes gets them in excellent condition from the 40's and 50's era.

She has 2 coats here now she hasn't gone over yet for resale. 1 from the 50's era, and 1 from the 60's.

ShadeTree":1h6ak0gg said:
JD338":1h6ak0gg said:
Nice shooting ST!

JD338

Ha! I'm getting gray enough. If I'd let my beard grow out I could probably pull the look off. :)

But I wouldn't need to buy one from LL Bean, my wife likes to buy those old woolrich coats, and clean them up and resell them. She sometimes gets them in excellent condition from the 40's and 50's era.

She has 2 coats here now she hasn't gone over yet for resale. 1 from the 50's era, and 1 from the 60's.
ST,
Very cool. In fact, that would make for a pretty neat picture. Lay the rifle on the coat with a few shells and your favorite knife. Wala
That is a very cool rifle.
JD338

wvbuckbuster":2qpi8rfb said:
Rem 200 gr Cl have given good groups for me plus make a blood trail a blind man could follow as a friend use to say. RL7 and 158 gr .357 jacketed hollow points are fun to shoot as well and it gives half inch groups all touching at 50 yds in my mod 760. Don't know if you want to try them or not but the Hornady 200 gr Lever load is a deer thumper also. Dan.

I have past experience with core lokt's in other cartridges, 6mm, 308, etc, but not in .358 caliber.

But any reading I've done on the subject backs up what you're saying. Seems like the general consensus is that it's considered 1 of the best bullets ever produced for top results in the 35 Remington. Too bad in the last several yrs just the bullets themselves seem extremely difficult to find available as a reloading component. Remington seems to have lost intrest in still producing them for reloading.

JD338":a4y1zy6p said:
ShadeTree":a4y1zy6p said:
JD338":a4y1zy6p said:
Nice shooting ST!

JD338

ST,
Very cool. In fact, that would make for a pretty neat picture. Lay the rifle on the coat with a few shells and your favorite knife. Wala
That is a very cool rifle.
JD338

Great idea. Same could be said of that picture with my Dad's old Winchester M71 that I use, and my Savage 1920. All would make neat pictures to keep.

Don't know why I didn't think of something like that before. Nobody ever accused me of having an artistic mind! Mechanical yes, artistic, no. Ha.

Thanks fellas. Fun and rewarding stuff with these older rifles.

Was thinking about this today and I'm starting to firmly believe that the older well made rifles gave up nothing in the accuracy department compared to new guns. Overall accuracy standards of older guns was directly related to the consistency of bullets, primers, and cases of the day, which wasn't up to today's standards.

Along with this shooter, I have a 250 savage made in 1920 that shot a best under 3/8" group at 50 yds with a peep sight, and maintains sub MOA at 100 with my struggling eyesight at that distance.

My Dad's old Winchester M71 in 348 has a load that shoots around 1/2" with a best group under that at 50 yds with buckhorn sights.

I have a 98 Mauser in 8x57 with the original military barrel on it and a Redfield peep that has been a consistent shooter. Hangs right around MOA at both 50 and 100.

I've tested plenty of modern guns that don't shoot that well comparatively whether at 50 or 100, and with a scope on that I KNOW exactly where it's at when it goes off. Some not anywhere close to that with the best loads I could come up with.

In fairness I've shot plenty of modern rifles that are real shooters also, so I'm not implying modern rifles are inferior in the accuracy department, but unless I've just gotten lucky I've yet to own an old gun that isn't a shooter with modern components.

P.S. And I wouldn't want to lay any money on which rifle is actually the most accurate. When I get down around 1/2" at 50 yds with iron sights it's surely a little bit luck of the draw on one side or the other of that as to what the group ends up as.

I can't see more precise than that. At least it doesn't seem like I can.

ShadeTree":2l66c9r2 said:
wvbuckbuster":2l66c9r2 said:

I have past experience with core lokt's in other cartridges, 6mm, 308, etc, but not in .358 caliber.

But any reading I've done on the subject backs up what you're saying. Seems like the general consensus is that it's considered 1 of the best bullets ever produced for top results in the 35 Remington. Too bad in the last several yrs just the bullets themselves seem extremely difficult to find available as a reloading component. Remington seems to have lost intrest in still producing them for reloading.
Remington has quit releasing reloading bullets in several calibers. I still have couple hundred of the 200 gr CL. Dan.

wvbuckbuster":57c2tj2x said:
ShadeTree":57c2tj2x said:
wvbuckbuster":57c2tj2x said:

Remington has quit releasing reloading bullets in several calibers. I still have couple hundred of the 200 gr CL. Dan.

Good deal. You should be set, they seem impossible to find right now.

I ran across a gent selling 16 boxes of NIB factory 200 gr core lokts for what worked out to just the price per piece of new brass on Midway. At that price I bought all 16 boxes. I've got 300 rounds left. In hindsight I'm even more glad I bought them all. (y)

Well, some might have trouble shooting such groups with scopes! I know - just 50y. But in dense brush, you can still decide which hair to split - awsome!
Guns from 'back then' might not be that fancy. But looking at the results of competitions with old Mauser 98 or 96 (or Springfields on your side of the pond) with iron sights, it seems that some gunsmiths knew their business without cnc-machines.
Really looks great!

Gesendet von meinem HUAWEI VNS-L31 mit Tapatalk

noslerpartition":2sodw711 said:
Well, some might have trouble shooting such groups with scopes! I know - just 50y. But in dense brush, you can still decide which hair to split - awsome!
Guns from 'back then' might not be that fancy. But looking at the results of competitions with old Mauser 98 or 96 (or Springfields on your side of the pond) with iron sights, it seems that some gunsmiths knew their business without cnc-machines.
Really looks great!

Gesendet von meinem HUAWEI VNS-L31 mit Tapatalk

Agree, but not because of me, but what will the gun do.

There's plenty that wont do this either at 50 yds with a scope on. If they can't shoot better than 3/4" at 100, then they can't do this at 50. Scope or not. I've tested guns that struggled to stay under 3/4" at 50 yds with a scope on, because they also shoot 1.25"-1.5" at 100 yds with their best load. Just as good as some guns will do.

Or this.

Back