Remington 32 over & under and steel shot?

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Recently inherited a beautiful old Remington model 32, 12 gauge over and under. Remington stopped making these shotguns in the 1940's. It came with two sets of barrels.

Everywhere I hunt upland birds requires non-lead shot.

Is it safe to use steel shot in this old gun? If not, what are the alternatives?

Thanks in advance.

Yes, I'll get some photos. It's a beautiful old gun, and looks almost new.

epunRgBh.jpg

Regards, Guy

Last edited:
Guy,
She is a real beauty!
I would think steal shot would be ok with an Improved cylinder or modified choke. I wouldn't shoot steel through a full choke. Might want to check with your gunsmith if you don't get an answer here.

JD338

And yes, I'm going to have to remove the spacer Dad put in there between the stock and the recoil pad... He was 6-04 with loooong arms.

I'm 4" shorter with more normal arm length. :)

Bismuth is probably the correct answer. However, I used to work with a true goose hunting fanatic. He shot steel and lots of it through all kinds of old guns. For eXAMPLE, An old post war German Mauser based 12 Gauge bolt action. He pattern tested all of his guns too. He had a smith who would lengthen the forcing cone on all his barrels. He would then start opening up choke a few thousandths at a time until he got the pattern he wanted. He could stand there and quote choke dimensions and the amount he would start opening them up, like you or I would the details of a pet load.

That said, I have also heard that with steel shot in an older barrel, its not a matter of if, but when you will do damage to an older barrel w/ steel shot.

I have had my forcing cone lengthened and shoot improved cylinder in my circa 1978 Winchester 1400 with no obvious damage so far, but to be honest I haven't averaged a box of shells a year through that thing. Used Heavi shot for turkey season but no Bismuth, hard to find in 20ga 2 3/4 and expensive! `. CL

If my memory serves me right the Rem M32 was a Kreigoff design rebranded by Remington which Remington was known to do.
Though I believe the barrels are chrome lined I would not shoot steel shot through them. Steel does not compress like lead or lead plated shot so sooner or later you will bulge or split a barrel. Nickel plated shot was also known to be hard on the older barrels but was liked for its penetration on waterfowl.

Is copper plated shot legal?
No - I don't think so. I ordered up 100 rounds of 2 3/4" bismuth for the old gal and look forward to popping a few pheasants with her this season. :)

It will be interesting, hunting with Dad & Grandpa's old over & under.

Guy

If my memory serves me right the Rem M32 was a Kreigoff design rebranded by Remington which Remington was known to do.
Though I believe the barrels are chrome lined I would not shoot steel shot through them. Steel does not compress like lead or lead plated shot so sooner or later you will bulge or split a barrel. Nickel plated shot was also known to be hard on the older barrels but was liked for its penetration on waterfowl.
I think Rodger is correct about the Rem M32 being a Kreigoff design. The Kreighoff M32 is a very solid and durable O/U design. For many years they were considered one of the best shotguns for skeet and trap shooting. Skeet and trap shooters could, and would, shoot tens of thousands of rounds through them. I have a K32 and previously owned a Reminton model 3200. The Rem 3200 was supposed to be an updated design of the K32 but, in my opinion, the K32 is by far the better shotgun. I know I had much better scores with the K32. That is a keeper. I hope you get many years of good use out of it. Dan

I think Rodger is correct about the Rem M32 being a Kreigoff design. The Kreighoff M32 is a very solid and durable O/U design. For many years they were considered one of the best shotguns for skeet and trap shooting. Skeet and trap shooters could, and would, shoot tens of thousands of rounds through them. I have a K32 and previously owned a Reminton model 3200. The Rem 3200 was supposed to be an updated design of the K32 but, in my opinion, the K32 is by far the better shotgun. I know I had much better scores with the K32. That is a keeper. I hope you get many years of good use out of it. Dan
Actually, Remington designed and introduced the Model 32 in 1931...

Kreighoff bought the European manufacturing rights to it in 1956! :)

Source:

My gun was built sometime in the 1930's or 1940's. I'll have to do a bit of research. Had it out for quail today. Sadly, no quail participated in any way, in the hunt. Sigh...

Guy

And I've got a boatload of low base target load factory 12 gauge ammo. I think I'm going to take up trap shooting again. Haven't done so more than a handful of times in the past 30 years. I enjoyed it and was "decent" at it, though I never hit all 25 of those doggone clay pigeons anyway. :)

Guy

Actually, Remington designed and introduced the Model 32 in 1931...

Kreighoff bought the European manufacturing rights to it in 1956! :)

Source:

My gun was built sometime in the 1930's or 1940's. I'll have to do a bit of research. Had it out for quail today. Sadly, no quail participated in any way, in the hunt. Sigh...

Guy
Thanks for the clarification Guy.
73-year-old memory sometimes mixes the facts, but it gets them close, but no cigars🤣

Back