Remington Mod 722 fore end pressure

Boresighter

Beginner
Mar 30, 2008
My brother has a Rem. Mod.722 that shoots terribly. He had hogged out the barrel channel to float the barrel and the rifle stopped grouping.I took it to the range and slid business cards under the barrel to create some upward pressure and it shot a 1/2 inch group on the first try.I would like to see if any of you have advice on how to permanently put a pressure point on this barrel.The quicker and simpler the better as our rifle elk hunt starts in about 2 weeks and my sister in law will be using this rifle.Thanks in advance.

Do you remember how many cards were under the barrel and at what point?
Take the barreled action out of the stock after marking the "spot" with a piece of tape on the stock.
Degrease and apply some release agent to the barrel. Apply two coats allowing for dry time and also apply it to a larger area that you anticipate.
Cut the cards into a 1/4" strip and form them around the barrel next to the tape mark. You might even cut the card strip so you can tape the seam of the card stock together to form a ring.
You will want to place the card strip on the barrel so that it will be next to the tape mark when placed back into the stock.
take some sand paper and rough up the area that the bedding compound will be placed.
A dremmel tool works the best.
Tape off the outside of your forearm with blue masking tape so compound doesn't ooz out and stick to the visible part of your stock.
Apply another coat of release agent to the card stock and the barrel.
Let it dry. Mix up your bedding compound and apply a "blob" to the forearm where you marked it.
carefully place your barreled action back into the stock and tighten up the action screws. Let harden over night.
take the barreled action back out of the stock and remove the tape, release agent and the card stock. The card stock may stick to the compound and want to stay in the forearm. Use a dremmel tool or an exacto knive to remove it and any excess bedding compound.

hope this helps.

Bi-mart should have a bedding kit from Brownells for around $20.
It is usually next to the gun cleaning supplies.

Thanks for the reply. But I must be missing something.When I remove the 1/4 inch strips from my barrel wont they just leave indentations in the compound where they were? Seems like the reverse of what is wanted??

The bedding compound should be placed where you marked the forearm.
Place the strips of cards behind the mark or towards the reciever.
The bedding compound will probably ooz into the strips of card stock.
Place your card stock 1/2" away from your original mark. The card material will hold the barrel away from the fore arm while the bedding compound hardens.
You probably won't use more than a penny sized gumball worth of compound.
Of course that depends on how much the stock was "hogged out".

Ok thanks I was imagining the strips actually IN the compound.That definately clarifies things. I will get on it very soon thanks for the help!

Back