Retirement CA Hog

Richracer1

Handloader
May 12, 2005
I know those of you socked in by winter and suffering miserably of cabin fever will call me all sorts names for this post, but oh well.
I got this hog with my 30-06 and 180ETs. He was about 20yds from me broadside. I just got to the area (On Vandenberg AFB) at about 5:00 P.M. so I had about 30 mins. I walk about 5 minutes and noticed something black under an oak tree. Well, it was this boar standing broadside to me feeding on the acorns that have dropped. I put the cross-hairs on him and gave him a 180ET for dinner. Here's the 2 pics I took - you can click on them for a bigger pic.
With the rifle:

Just the hog:

Oh in case someone wants to know, I got that VX-II off Ebay new quite a number of years ago. It came that way and the Leupold box was title VX-II Composite. It's a 3-9x40. I've never seen another one listed like it.

That is too cool. Sounds way too easy, though. Doesn't look as if he digested that 180 grain ETip that well.

A couple of us call these type of hogs "suicide hogs" as they are making it way to easy to shoot and retrieve them. I was able to legally (VAFB hunting rules) drive within 10 feet of him.

Kool for sure. I want to hunt hawgs some day, not too many round here... :lol:

Thanks for sharing.

Rod

Rich,

Congrats.....!!
You're right, thinking of a few names right now.... haven't seen the grass for a month around here !! :wink:

Congratulations! Looks like the good old .30-06 has another bullet it can count on. Sweet... Nice shooting.

You should have let that one go. We need more of the suicide type of hogs out there and fewer of the only see after dark type. Best to let the easy ones breed more. :wink:

russ808":15s0ft49 said:
Good one Rich. Retirement HOG #! of many more to come.
Russ

Nope, this will probably be my last hog as I'm leaving CA on the 25th to go back to Idaho. There are no wild hogs in ID.

Rich
Congrats on a nice hog and your retirement in Idaho.
Idaho isn't that far away from here. You can always come hunting again.
Greg

Congratulations on the hog. Were you able to recover the bullet? I want to see an E-tip taken from game. We could not recover one from my sons antelope and his mule deer buck this year. Both were pass throughs! :lol:

Congratulations on the hog, and that is a way cool scope, I like it.

You just never know with hogs. I live north of you in central CA and we really enjoy hunting the hogs. Sometimes you cannot get within a half mile of them and sometimes they act like they just do not know you exist.

The monolithic bullets have been working well for us as well. I shot a big old boar a while back that really put the 100 grain Barnes TSX out of my 25-06 to the test. The boar was over 300 yards at a dead run. That 100 grain Barnes went clear through him, and he was a BIG hog. I had a hell of a time dragging him back to a ranch road where we could get the pickup in. Then we found we could not load that pig, just too big. We finally drove the pickup into a ditch and rolled him in.

My buddy has killed a bunch of hogs with a 257 Wby Mag and the 115 Barnes bullets. All one shot kills.

Rich,

Good deal on your hog!

Since you are bailing out for Idaho, can you pass your VAFB hunting spots to me? ;)

jim

HunterJim":38aqvj1o said:
Rich,

Good deal on your hog!

Since you are bailing out for Idaho, can you pass your VAFB hunting spots to me? ;)

jim

Sorry, as I do not have just one spot/location. The hogs are where they are, you have to go look for sign that they are in that area. If you hunt VAFB and looking for hogs, area C3 is where I do most of my hog hunting. There are other areas, some are rifle areas, others are shotgun/muzzleloader, others archery only. Some areas have good chances for hogs, but you will regret shooting one in some of these areas because getting a hog out will be a nightmare.

Hey Rich congrats on a good hunt hopefully it will not be finished yet because it was a might short :wink:
Hopefully we will see more animals on the ground.

Blessings,
Dan

Rich, never say never. The low country has lots and I'm sure you will get hunt there.
Russ

Back