Rifle carry back packs

Thanks Maverick and everyone. That's a good looking pack and that rifle looks like nothing will bother it. How does it feel fully loaded? Thanks for the pics!

Back when I was hiking for a week to two weeks I had an external frame pack which at the time was all there was. Later on I bought a Dana Design internal pack and still have it even though I have not used it for years.

c. schutte":o2q6knij said:
Thanks Maverick and everyone. That's a good looking pack and that rifle looks like nothing will bother it. How does it feel fully loaded? Thanks for the pics!
I haven't had a lot of weight in it yet, but after running around with 35# in it while scouting I'm quite impressed. Very comfortable, and the hip belt is awesome. There's an enormous amount of adjustment options with this thing -- should be able to make it fit about anyone comfortably. (The number of straps make it a little intimidating to look at first glance, but it all makes sense once you start playing with it. (I took advantage of being able to carry the spotter mounted to the tripod this AM, and loved it -- probably would not have gotten any decent view of the billie otherwise.) Will do another scouting trip with it tomorrow, and then start carrying a rifle in 2 weeks. Waterproofing on the bags seem to work well also -- rained on me the entire time, and when all said and done, the only things that were dry when I called it quits was the stuff inside the bags.

I would recommend the Kuiu Ultra 1800 or Icon 1850. They are super light (just over 3lbs) durable and comfortable. I think their best feature is the load sling that when combined with the packs carbon fiber frame will allow you to easily carry an elk hind quarter. All of the Kuiu packs utilize the same carbon fiber frame so if you ever need to get a bigger pack (they offer options all the way up to 7000 cu in) all you need to do is purchase the larger bag instead of a whole new pack. I got an Ultra 1800 for my elk hunt this year and I will say it was my best gear purchase...next to my Phil Wilson Southfork. Unfortunately neither the Southfork or my pack got any blood on them but that is a whole other story.

Regardless, lots of good pack options out there.

I have the Tenzing 2220 pack and it has a rifle sling on it. I used it when packing meat off the mountains and it held the rifle very well. While hunting I carried it but if I were to walk in at dark I would use the pack so both hands were free to hike and maneuver.

Brian,

Nice set up there. I've an old Dana Design so I'm pretty sure those Mystery Ranch packs are sweet!

I bought a EXO 3500 pack prior to this season and have used it to pack out 3 elk already. It's a great pack, even with 100+lbs of meat on it. My hunting buddy uses a Eberlestock and they do haul meat well but are almost twice as heavy as mine empty.

Back