Rifle for granddaughter

Europe

Handloader
Jun 18, 2014
for xmas

she is a normal teenage girl, 5'9"-125 # who hunts, deer, elk, antelope, javelina, black bear

Savage Lady hunter or Weatherby Camille ? Both rifles are very inexpensive, so we are comparing apples, to apples, cost wise

6.5 Creedmore or 7mm-08 ? Both rifles can be bought in either caliber. she has shown no signs of being recoil sensitive

Once you throw-in the elk, I suggest the 7-08 or a .308, just to be sure, ya know!

All the best, Jim

Either rifle will serve her well, April. Each has good reports for fit and finish. Either is recognized as being reasonably accurate. I'd likely lean toward the 7mm 08 simply on the strength of extra mass available and a broader bullet selection. No knocks against the 6.5 Creedmoor. I do like mine. I have no qualms about it being capable of taking an elk. Still, I lean toward the slightly larger cartridge.

Yup, said it on the other side, 270 Win or 7-08. I really like the 270 Win. So much ammo available and really is a gentle shooting cartridge. Plus with the addition of 150's and 160's loaded to around 2900 or better it makes a helluva good elk rifle.

Europe":fj6s36qk said:
Savage Lady hunter or Weatherby Camille ? Both rifles are very inexpensive, so we are comparing apples, to apples, cost wise

6.5 Creedmore or 7mm-08 ? Both rifles can be bought in either caliber. she has shown no signs of being recoil sensitive

After having a couple of Savages and a couple of Vanguards/Howas.... I would take the Camllia any day of the week and twice on Sunday. IMHO, just so much more rifle than Savage produces. My samples all shot fantastic and the Weatherby versions tend to have pretty nice wood for a quasi- economy rifle. I had a Vanguard in .257 that shot sub MOA and had nicer walnut than my Kimber.

I am also a huge fan of the 7-08- easily my favorite of the "under .30" cartridges. Mild recoil, mild muzzle blast and just great performance- even from a shorter barrel length. Hard to go wrong there. I think the Creedmore doesn't do so well out of shorter barrels by comparison and I have to wonder how long the fascination with it will last. 7-08 is reasonably common most places.

Either cartridge is fully capable for the game mentioned.

While the 7mm-08 has an edge in heavier bullet weights and frontal area, the 6.5 has the edge in BC and SD #'s.

I hope that she enjoys her new rifle and makes many memories with it!

The only caveat that I would say is for the elk; stay clear of the shoulder bones on the entry side, and try to take the double lung shot on unwary animals at reasonable hunting ranges (less than 200 yards whenever possible) for this animal with a very strong constitution (will to live). Shot placement is critical on this animal that can cover several miles with a broken shoulder from a less than well placed bullet, even from larger, more powerful cartridges.

...splitting hairs between the two cartridges, but I'd check the price, options, weight, feel of the Brownings & Tikkas available in both, compare them to the Camillia...

to steal a line from Charles,

Do you want your granddaughter to remember you hunting with a Kilimanjaro Artemis or a Savage Lady Hunter--

I can not afford to do so, but if you can afford one April, Jamila also makes a good point. The Artemis stock is not just made for a woman, they are made to fit a specific woman. You get to choose the action which includes a pre 64 model 70, if you want and I know you do. As your granddaughter expand's her hunting to include moose, brown bear, perhaps Africa, the 280 AI, would be even better than the 7mm-08. The variety of "youth" models mentioned wont work, because your granddaughter is 5' 9" with a longer reach, it is not the hand size and arm length as much as it is the design of the stock, at least for her------and last but not least, to steal a line from you---I buy you books, send you to school, tell you all I know and your still looking at a "Savage" ?

My older daughter is almost 18, 5' 6", 135 pounds of pure muscle. She swims 300 days a year, and is built like a rock.

Her rifle is a Weatherby Vanguard in 243. I removed the original stock and installed a Hogue youth stock to shorten the pull. With this, she is incredibly accurate and doesn't even think of flinching.
As noted in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=71&t=33755
she can shoot larger stocked rifles and larger calibers without any problems. I chose to go with a restocked rifle for her because I am not a fan of 20 inch barrels, if nothing else due to having the muzzle blast closer to the young shooter.

My point is that if you have any rifles of the 7mm-08/6.5 size that you can have her try, then do it. While I am not going to rush out and buy my daughter a 7mm Rem Mag, I'd have no qualms about handing her a 270 Win instead of her 243 if she wanted to hunt larger game. I could even swap her stock onto one of my 270 Vanguards and let her loose.

If you don't mind the shorter barrel, the Camilla would get my vote in a heartbeat. I'd be tempted to ask Weatherby if they would sell you a 24 inch barrelled model, as it doesn't take any effort on their part to swap barrelled actions, but that's just me.

For the price of the Kilimanjaro Artemis I'd buy her a Camilla and take her on a few hunts. She'll remember that even more!

touche cheyenne!

thanks to all for their replies

talking to Weatherby custom shop about their Camilla in a 270 which would come in a 24 inch barrel--I was wondering about the balance, will let you know what they say.

I have seen and handled the Artemis, although I don't own one, and without a doubt it is one very sweet rifle. But her mother was upset that I just got her a car ( until I reminded her that I had bought her one at the same age ), and I am afraid she might go ballistic ( no pun intended ) if she got an Artemis for xmas. Plus as Dr Vette said, for the difference I could bring her to Europe for a hunt--or two.

April, that will not work, because the Camilla only comes in the std actions, not long actions, so they will not be able to do that. If you really feel you need more than the 7mm-08, you will need to go to the 308, but personally I would stay with the 7mm-08, if you go Weatherby. As you might remember my father collects Weatherbys ( but only the actual Weatherby Calibers ), but he still likes their product. Mum, as you know is a snob and I say that lovingly and only uses rifles with mauser or mauser type actions.

I will pass along the message that everyone here thinks owning a Kilimanjaro is a dumb idea ( btw this is directed at cheyenne, not you Dr Vette ) However Cheyenne does make one good point. Youth models do not necessarily work with all women, because some women like my mum are tall with longer arms and larger hands, but where the Camilla works is taking into account that most of us have longer necks and directing the recoil as far away as possible from our chest is a good thing. This may be TMI lol

Best Regards

Jamila

Africa Huntress":304kfy8i said:
I will pass along the message that everyone here thinks owning a Kilimanjaro is a dumb idea ( btw this is directed at cheyenne, not you Dr Vette )

Best Regards

Jamila
No problem.

I just see the price, and you could have a custom rifle made for that price and still go on two guided hunts for elk or mule deer.

Then again, people buy Bugatti's, don't they?

My business/hunting partner reminds me how cheap high end rifles are compared with shotguns, so it's all relative.

yukon huntress":jbvj0gc6 said:

Do you want your granddaughter to remember you hunting with a Kilimanjaro Artemis or a Savage Lady Hunter--

I can not afford to do so, but if you can afford one April, Jamila also makes a good point. The Artemis stock is not just made for a woman, they are made to fit a specific woman. You get to choose the action which includes a pre 64 model 70, if you want and I know you do. As your granddaughter expand's her hunting to include moose, brown bear, perhaps Africa, the 280 AI, would be even better than the 7mm-08. The variety of "youth" models mentioned wont work, because your granddaughter is 5' 9" with a longer reach, it is not the hand size and arm length as much as it is the design of the stock, at least for her------and last but not least, to steal a line from you---I buy you books, send you to school, tell you all I know and your still looking at a "Savage" ?

How about a Montana Rifle Company X2 in 7x57 Mauser?? See I fixed it for you all!

David

http://montanarifleco.com/?page_id=180

6mm Remington":1sofv9p6 said:
yukon huntress":1sofv9p6 said:

How about a Montana Rifle Company X2 in 7x57 Mauser?? See I fixed it for you all!

David

I knew David would get the Montana Rifle into this conversation LOL

Dr Vette, it is funny you bring up the cost of a car. I am telling her not to spend the money on that rifle but it costs approx 20000.00 dollars to enter and prepare for one of the well known dog sled races and that is before the cost of the dogs and their dog houses, vet bills, and food. My husband is always complaining that we are dog poor and he would be right. BTW, Dr Vette I am only assuming that you like Vette's more than Volkswagens LOL Boy did I take this thread of course.

6mm Remington":1891piu3 said:
yukon huntress":1891piu3 said:

David

Now that's a great idea right there.

yukon huntress":6n9wsmkx said:
BTW, Dr Vette I am only assuming that you like Vette's more than Volkswagens LOL Boy did I take this thread of course.

Well, I may be nationally recognized for my Corvette knowledge, but the first car project I did was...

Attachments

• 76 VW.jpg
    76 VW.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 2,622
very well played Dr Vette, love it!

David and Scotty. That Montana is a very nice looking rifle, but I have to share this with you. My granddaughter told her mother that when she gets her own rifle she doesn't want one of those phony looking rifles, she wants a walnut stock and blued barrel like her grandmother's rifles. I love that girl. Soon after I heard about that I bought her her first car.

thanks Jamila, if I had stopped to think for a moment and looked at the calibers offered I would have realized that, but I am old. As of today I am leaning toward the Camilla 7mm-08. I think I will still ask them about a longer barrel however

Cheyenne, thank god you are in a position to hunt for food for those dogs, as I would hate to have to buy all the food you feed them from the Piggly Wiggly, however I doubt you and Dr Mike have Piggly Wiggly stores

April,

She sounds like a classy girl. Walnut and blued steel (okay, occasionally I can allow my action to stay in the white) is just too, too lovely for this old curmudgeon. Gotta' love a young lady who knows and demands class. (y)

yukon huntress":30ws5av3 said:

Very, very well said Sister! lol

Back