Rifle for supressed hunting

You are well on your way to preserving your hearing, and doing so with genuine panache!

We use suppressed subsonic loaded blackouts at work for pig damage control. They work great.
Russ

I have some subsonic 308 loads that I might load up for small game. It would make for a silent option while big game hunting and seeing a buny or grouse.

I put some new glass on my shirt barreled 308. A 3-15x42 SWFA SS. Great scope! I don't think there is a better sub 500 dollar scope out there.

4a613f0aafa2ae129e94f4eeb564c91b.jpg

I tried out some 168 amax today out of the shorty 308. Tried out some loads I had worked up for my AR10 with 44.5gr of varget. It seemed to like them really well. Shot this 5 shot group to check zero and then preceded to send my 4" steel gong spinning with boring regularity at 300 yards. The sun dropped too quickly to do anything else, getting pretty scarce up here for daylight!

b1c4250f8bb8122acac2c87db7a1033c.jpg

I've been thinking about dropping this into a chassis, looking at the MDT LSS, and XLR element.

Any of you have any experience with either of these chassis?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thebear_78":1xccqcc3 said:
With my impending suppressor possession I have been thinking about buying/making a rifle to hunt with supressed. My tactical/target rifles already being to heavy at 12-17 pounds with 24-26" barrels that hunting with them seemed impractical.

I had thought about cutting my Montana back to 18-20" but there isn't enough barrel diameter to thread for the suppressor, and my other light rifles all have long barrels and in calibers that need long barrels.

I have a blueprinted magnum Remington action but once again Amy magnum bolt face rifle cartridge in 30 cal or smaller really needs the longer barrel.

The answer to my conundrum came early this morning while pursuing my local swap and sell classified. A guy was trading a Remington 700 tactical with a 16" threaded barrel in a magpul hunter stock, bipod and a couple mags. I contacted him and we made a trade for a luepold VXIII 4.5-14x40 CDS I had on hand.

I picked it up, dropped in a TIMNEY trigger and mounted a SWFA SS 6x in Nightforce rings on it. It's a very handy little package. With the 9 " suppressor it will still only be 25" of barrel. The magpul stock is very stiff and comfortable, the bipod is cheap but seems serviceable. While not light it's not that heavy either and should do well out to 400 yards or so. A 16" 308 starts to lose steam much farther than that.

I'm hoping to get 165gr ballistic tip up to 2550-2600. It should be doable with CFE223 powder. A buddy of mine runs 168 Bergers at just under 2600fps out of an encore with a 15" pistol barrel with that powder. It should stay above 1800 Fps out past 400 yards so that would be the general limit.

Any of you guys hunt suppressed or run a shorty 308? Any opinions or suggestions on bullets or loads?

c4f7990c470741af56121d183c631eb2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same loads as any other normal .308. All a shorter barrel does is improve accuracy at times. It's 50 fps loss per inch or gain depending.

Magnums don't need a longer barrel. I run a 22" .338 Norma Magnum AI with no issues, all I'm losing is velocity.

What bullet do you want to use? Load your loads to that bullet. When I run my guns suppressed or not, I use the same loads.

It's tough to beat the gold standard from the FGMM in any factory Remington 700. Start there forst, but decide what hunting bullet you want to use.

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns

Back