Roller at the Range

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Spent a little time with the 11.7mm Danish Rolling Block today, at the range! Dad bought this rifle shortly after WWII, and fired one round through it. He and I have talked of shooting this rifle for years, and a few years ago we unraveled a few of the "secrets" of this long-obsolete cartridge and he assembled some ammo on .45-70 cases, shortened a bit. He never did get it out to try the new ammo at the range, but is real happy that I made it happen today. Only fired 4 shots through it, and only at 10 yards. Mild recoil, pleasant sounding dull "boom" (like a .45-70 Trapdoor load). Trigger pull is about 963 pounds... Maybe more... Danes must have strong trigger fingers! Hey, I'm 1/4 Dane myself, no problem!

Wow! This was so much fun! I'm going to stretch the range next time, out to 50 or 100 yards, and start doing some handloading for it myself. Todays loads used a .459" 405 grain flat-nose cast lead bullet. I don't know what Dad's powder charge was. It was very mild though. As is appropriate for the ol' beast.

Regards, Guy

Old rifles and old cartridges can be a ton of fun, Guy. Excellent account.

That looks like a blast Guy. So glad you got it out for some range time.

Bet that old rifle might be a tack driver with the right Bullets.

Thanks. I don't think it will ever be a high-use rifle for me. But it's an interesting hand loading project, and a fun range toy. Looking forward to trying it at longer ranges

Back