Rough and Smooth Bores - Question?

bullet

Handloader
Dec 26, 2007
I know we had a thread on rifles having smooth and rough bores but I want to ask a few questions and maybe find some technical reasons for some events that happened to me. First let me say that I have been shooting for a long time now as well has hunting and developing loads for my rifles. Many of you know I spend a lot of time developing loads for my rifles and sharing the results. I have owned Remington, Savage, Ruger, Sako, Brown, Marlin, Winchester, Interarms, Weatherby and some others along with six custom rifles. On my Customs rifles I had the following barrels - 2 Douglas, 2 Shilen, 1 Lilja, and 1 Krieger. Now the factory rifles all but one I was able to accomplish Moa and some under MOA with hand-loads. Now all my customs shot 1/2" moa or under. Here is the question - "Some of my rifles had very smooth, some very rough barrels. Yet I was able to produce MOA groups out of all of them but one. Some of my rough barrels out shot smoother bores. Yet the tightest groups of under a 1/2" MOA were smooth bores except one custom barrel. Rougher bores did foul quicker but for all my hunting purposes they all were more than accurate for the task at hand. I had one custom that shot two groups at one tenth of an inch and nothing over .324" with it's favorite load. I assumed because it was shooting so well that the bore must be one smooth slick bore. Well when I put a bore scope down it and saw how rough it was I surely was surprised. I know there are a lot of variables that can impact a rifles accuracy from bedding to optics much less how smooth the barrel might be. Three things! 1. I wonder outside of competition how much difference there really is in practical terms between rough and smooth bores? 2. Does it bother you if your rifle is MOA accurate at 100yds whether are not your bore is rough? 3. I have seen some real rough bores shoot well as I have seen slick ones shoot ok, and although it's not to big a deal, I still wonder why this happens when logic tells you the smooth bore should always out shoot the rough bore?

The bore is just one part of the equation, though, and really it's akin to the kind of tires you put on your car. It facilitates the 'go' but doesn't create it. Accuracy is as much or more the alignment of the bolt, receiver, and barrel (bore center), as well as the crown being flawless. The condition of the bore is tertiary at best (I think), but all other things being equal you are right, it affects accuracy. The problem is, all other things are never equal where rifles are concerned. Even bore roughness is relative. Is it rough at the throat? (I think this affects accuracy a good bit.) Or is it just rough all the way along, in terms of the grooves having machining marks? Is the crown right? (By this I mean clean, smooth, concentric, and perpendicular to the bore?) There are just so many things that go into a rifle shooting that are preemptive when considering the impact of bore smoothness on accuracy in my opinion. Your mileage may vary.

I guess I was wondering from a practical perspective if most hunters really cared as long as their rifle was MOA accurate at 100yds.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
I hope you have a red wine colored stock on that rifle. Sounds like it might age reallllly nice.

The smoother barrel should be good for more accurate rounds between cleanings. Whether that makes a difference or not is up to you. The worst barrel I have tried looked like a copper mine after three shots, so I had it lapped and reactive hardened. I could not tell the difference in accuracy, but cleaning was much simpler.

jim

Biggest benefit I've seen from custom barrels is the smooth bore stays accurate longer between cleanings. I'm a highpower competitor and shoot the occasional tactical match too. There's seldom a chance to clean during a match and we typically fire at least 66 rounds, sometimes quite a few more without a chance to clean. The custom tubes really come into their own then.

For practical accuracy on big game to 300 yards or so - I'm quite happy with a factory barrel and one MOA. I do like to see those sub 3" groups at 300 yards as my accuracy standard though.

Regards, Guy

Guy Miner":32ptumfa said:
Biggest benefit I've seen from custom barrels is the smooth bore stays accurate longer between cleanings. I'm a highpower competitor and shoot the occasional tactical match too. There's seldom a chance to clean during a match and we typically fire at least 66 rounds, sometimes quite a few more without a chance to clean. The custom tubes really come into their own then.

For practical accuracy on big game to 300 yards or so - I'm quite happy with a factory barrel and one MOA. I do like to see those sub 3" groups at 300 yards as my accuracy standard though.

Regards, Guy

Very good points Guy and I would add that a smooth barrel and less fouling will take you through hunting season without guessing whether or not you next shot will be accurate. I also think that that a rifle and your load needs to be accurate not only at 100yds but also at 300yds and if it is accurate at both then you have a load you need to keep and rely on. Of course good bedding, good barrels, great triggers and fine optics don't hurt when it comes to good accuracy.

Back