Ruger #1 which one?

FOTIS

Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
Well I have completed my Bee collection and I have the following
240 257 270 7mm 30-378 340 378 416 and 460.

I do have the varmints covered well with 17 hornet 204 223's and 220 swift.

Also a whole bunch of levers 30-30 32WS 35 rem 444 45-70 oh and a Finnwolf (SAKO) in 308.

So everything is covered very well as one can see.

Now I want a Ruger #1 in something...... but what????????????

First off, the Bee's Nest is pretty impressive. As for a No. 1, just about any will be pretty skookum. Why not, however, look for something relatively rare? There have been a number chambered in smaller numbers that would fill such a bill.

If it were me I'd opt for a .300 Win Mag in the Number 1.

Classic action in an all around caliber. That or an '06 should stand you in good stead anywhere in North America. Of course, me being me, I'd opt for the .338 Win Mag over the '06 but I think the .300 Win Mag has a lot to offer. That or a .375 H&H or .300 H&H would be just the ticket.

Another option, caliber wise would be a 6.5 x 55. Choices, choices, choices. I know I'm not much help. It's a pity they don't offer a wide range of calibers in that rifle and one is forced to look at the Used market until they find the caliber they desire.

Vince

Bruce Mc":2rgymthq said:
the 9.3 x 62 in the Medium sporter might be a trip.

Bruce,

I forgot about that caliber and think you just nailed it! :grin:

That would be a smashing caliber in a Number 1.

The 9.3X74 is a great round. Charlie would be pleased to know that someone else had picked one up. :grin:

...you need a good 6.5, gonna be a little harder to find a Swede or a Creedmoor...

GeorgeS":2m4coym5 said:
.45-120 Sharps or .50-70 Government.

George

I think Elkman has a 45-90 in a #1 Stainless/Laminate he is looking to sell. Very nice rifle too.

Bruce Mc":ky9owtcn said:
http://www.ruger.com/products/no1MediumSporter/models.html

This one

That is very cool! What a cool set up!

Guy Miner":ky9owtcn said:
I like that!

It's the "better" Whelen... :mrgreen:

Guy, well, I am just speechless right now! :twisted:

The thing about Number 1s is that they are fairly easy to convert to something else. SSK has done a fair number of them. How about a .470 Nitro?

Fotis the Wyoming Greek...

Didn't you have a few nice Number One rifles not all that long ago? :grin:

From a practical standpoint, you don't "need" any other rifles. You've got Wyoming's game terrorized, from ground squirrels to moose & grizz. Likely any wooly mammoth that decides to invade as well.

So what's going to put the biggest grin on your face? A nice classic varmint-busting & paper punching cartridge? Some sort of single-shot buffalo thumper? Or something in between? Ruger has had a lot of fun over the years building those Number Ones in a lot of traditional and also obscure chamberings.

Find your zen balance, you crazy Wyoming Greek, and buy the one, or two, that put the biggest grin on your face!

Guy

G'Day Fella's,

Fotis, how about the .303 British and the .450/400?
They are/were both available in the No1.

Hope that helps

Doh!
Homer

Back