Ruger 10/22 magazine

wvbuckbuster

Handloader
Nov 5, 2015
Bought a used Ruger 10/22 Talo full stock edition the other day. Took to the range to test fire and it jammed 3-4 times. Put in a new magazine and it quit. Had cleaned and lubed the action prior to shooting so it wasn't a dirty action caused jam. Hadn't had a 10/22 in about 40 yrs but don't recall this happing. Has anyone else had a Ruger mag go bad in a 10/22 before? Also tried 4 different ammo to see if that was the problem and none jammed with the new mag. Thanks, Dan.

Yes, in a Ruger 77/22 in .22 mag. One magazine worked much better than the other. Never took the time to figure out why. Just used the one that worked better.

Also had to fine tune one of two rotary magazines for a Browning X-bolt. In that case I took the time to look at it and I could see the issue and fixed it.

Dan

I have had 10-22 mags go bad. Clean them out with a spray solvent then use a drylube on them; brings them back to life. I have had to take a few apart over the years and trouble shoot them. Mostly minor fixes.

Scott

Thanks for the input guys. I didn't throw the old one away so I will give it a good cleaning and see if it helps. Dan.

Ours have done well.

I remember that when I switched my sons from a single shot 22 "Chipmunk" rifle to Ruger 10/22's, I had to start buying 22 ammo in bricks... They went through a LOT more ammo with the 10/22's.

(y)

Guy I know what you mean. One of my grandsons goes thru 100 rounds with a Rossi single shot quicker than then anyone one I've ever seen! A brick will be gone pretty quick for sure when he gets on this 10/22. Dan.

For sure, children can expend a LOT of ammo when shooting a .22. Great way to see a child hooked on shooting. As far as that goes, I can burn up a LOT of .22 ammo when I head out. :mrgreen:

Back