Ruger Hawkeye M77

I would agree on the recoil pads, I have heard them described as a hockey puck which isn't too far off. It wasn't bad with the 6.5x55 or 30-06 but the 375 Ruger wasn't very fun so it got a Limbsaver. With a 338 WM it would be a wise upgrade. Some of the faster burning powders that you are using in your 35's should work well with those 210's and kick a bit less than a case full of something slower burning.

Roger,

Congratulations on the Ruger 77 338 Win Mag. The 210 gr PT is an impressive bullet as you will soon see.
At 3000 fps, it shoots flat, hits hard and penetrates deep. Your 35 Whelen will be jealous. :mrgreen:

JD338

My newest is the 2009 Lipsey's RSI 250 Savage. Found new in the box on Gunbroker, and imported into Canada.

Gil,
You're killing me. First the 284, now this. :grin:

Here is a picture of my son's 6mm Remington with the Boyds classic laminate stock. Had it checkered, glass bedded, and pillar bedded. Very strong stable platform. I really like the feel of a wood stock and the laminates are tough and attractive!

Nice rifle TD, I think you will like it. I also agree on the recoil pads, my Hawkeye Ultra-Light being so light even gets uncomfortable from the bench with heavy loads.

Enjoy!

Blkram":l10emhvn said:
I have 4 Ruger Model 77's now; all Mark II's.

Actions not as smooth as other makes but will improve with tlc, use and time. Usually pretty accurate (MOA or better), and the newer LC6 triggers better than the previous triggers (identified by the groove in the back of the trigger).

3 of mine came with the pepper laminated stocks. 2 have been customized and are now a 376 Steyr ( and now wears a full length Wenig laminated stock) and a 416 Taylor, and the third will be rebarrelled to 9.3x62.

My newest is the 2009 Lipsey's RSI 250 Savage. Found new in the box on Gunbroker, and imported into Canada.

I believe that you will like your new rifle, but I suggest changing the recoil pad to a Limbsaver as you will find that light stock is going to bite into your shoulder. The new pad will make a big difference in your comfort level when shooting this rifle.
Gil I just ran several loads over a recoil calculator and there is an increase of 4lbs as compared to my 35/AI loads in my M70 so a new recoil pad will be welcome since it will generate around 40lbs of recoil in a 8lb rifle.

Dwh7271":3lf2h2qy said:

Gil,
You're killing me. First the 284, now this. :grin:

Yes, I have to admit that I am grinning too! LOL
Hard not to when one is able to get 3 bucket list rifles in a year (3rd the Marlin 1894 41 Rem Mag; photos in other threads)

Just got the tracking number for the rifle and with luck I'll have it in my hands by this Friday or Saturday.

truck driver":1sjbv3yh said:
Just got the tracking number for the rifle and with luck I'll have it in my hands by this Friday or Saturday.

Nice! Can't wait to hear you getting it set up.

Enjoy your Ruger M77! I have two; an All Weather 358 Win and new Mark II heavy barrel Varmint/Target in 6.5 Creedmoor. I own a number of rifles (Rem 700's,Tikka, CZ and others) and the Ruger M77 Hawkeye's are my favorites. The 338 Win Mag is a good elk caliber for sure.

Welcome aboard, Biggs358. Is it safe to assume that you're a fan of the .358 caliber? My Hawkeye 358 Win is scary accurate. It begs to be shot more than it is. Again, welcome aboard. Hope to see more posts as you join in the fun.

DrMike, Thanks! Yes, I am a fan of the 358 Win. Mine is very accurate as well and especially likes 225 gr. NP's as well as 220 gr. Speer Hot-Cors. I originally had my heart set on a 35 Whelen but found a great deal on the Winny.

I picked up a Hawkeye in 358 and then picked up one of the Hawkeyes in 35 Whelen. I do enjoy the 35 caliber rifles. I also have three Model 94s in .356 and a 358 Norma Magnum. Apparently, I like the caliber.

DrMike":11x7pq85 said:
I picked up a Hawkeye in 358 and then picked up one of the Hawkeyes in 35 Whelen. I do enjoy the 35 caliber rifles. I also have three Model 94s in .356 and a 358 Norma Magnum. Apparently, I like the caliber.

Same here... I've got a couple as well :lol:

Back