Ruger No. 1S

HAWKEYESATX

Handloader
Aug 15, 2016
Hello all!
I am happy to report, that I am a new owner of a Ruger No. 1S, and it’s in .30-06! She has a 24 inch barrel, and has deep rifling in her, so I know she hasn’t been shot a lot. She did come with the usual Ruger rings, and it has a Vortex 2-8x32 scope in them.
I ran into a guy at the LGS, he loves bolt rifles, and said he likes the No.1, but it just wasn’t his cup of tea.
So…I offered to trade even trade for my Remington 700 BDL, and his eyes lit up!
I know a few on here have No. 1’s, and I was wondering if you could give me some tips and pointers about them? I would greatly appreciate it!
Gotta love the .30-06 in that barrel length as well!!!

Hawk
2ac3a5765692fa8f110a66ae25211ff0.jpg

a82f330543de7e9e5b6a38a53da8c114.jpg

Don't think you were hurt in the least. Congratulations on a great exchange.

DrMike":24dl6a4r said:
Don't think you were hurt in the least. Congratulations on a great exchange.
Thank you DrMike!
Sometimes I do get lucky [emoji256]!!

Hawk

345 kv":1uwkr6u1 said:
I have the same rifle it likes a 165 AB and Reloader 15
That’s great to know!

I can live with 165 gr AB’s and using it to hunt almost everything with.

Hawk

Nice rifle!
You definitely came out ahead on that deal.
Hope she shoots as good as she looks.

Sometimes accuracy can be an issue, but can be improved with proper pressure with the forearm hanger.

Blkram":1owgh3w2 said:
Nice rifle!
You definitely came out ahead on that deal.
Hope she shoots as good as she looks.

Sometimes accuracy can be an issue, but can be improved with proper pressure with the forearm hanger.
Thank you!
I hope she shoots as well as she looks, too!
Thank you for letting me know about the forend pressure issue.

Hawk

wvbuckbuster":722nrvuv said:
Nice looking No 1. You both walked away happy so it was a good deal. Dan.
Yes, we both did walk away happy!
Most definitely a good deal!

Hawk

Great looking rifle. I have always wanted a #1 but so far it is one of those wish list guns that is still on the list.
Bruce

Nice-looking gun! I _almost_ bought one of those 1S models in 30-06 a few years ago. I really like that Alexander Henry forend and the iron sights (though I'd still have used a scope for hunting).

I've had 2 No.1 rifles (a Creedmoor and a 6.5-284 Norma). They're good guns. Like most Ruger rifles, they're kinda heavy, but they're STRONG actions and supremely durable.

My limited experience is that the guns shoot very well (I haven't shot any made before about the past 10 or 15 years), though their longer lock time makes it easier for the shooter to pull shots if they don't hold still.
(-:

I suggest you do not mess with the forend until you shoot the gun a while and learn it.

Why not take the opportunity to improve your ambidextrous shooting skills with this rifle? I think it's fun!

Good snag. I'd have bought that one myself had I the chance.

I have always wondered why the Ruger #1 in the "S" configuration was so darn hard to find? I bought my first #1 in IIRC, 1974. I was a "B" model in 30-06. A year later I ordered another #1, 300 Win. Mag "S" model. They sent a "B". :x When my LGS complained they were told by the distributor it's all they could get, take it or send it back. :x :x :x Well I took it and it's one of the most accurate #1s of the ones I have in my collection. In the years spent collecting #1s, I've only run across four in the "S" configuration. All four were chambered to the .300 Win. Mag. I have three of them leaving the fourth one on Cabela's shelf. That one was so beat up, scarred, cruddy looking bore and so outrageously high priced I figured they wanted to keep it. They never gave a reason for the way too high price. Maybe some celebrity owned it, I don't know. Too bad as it would have been perfect for a donor to something I wanted and Ruger didn't make at the time. When clean #1s were selling between $500 and $700 at most LGS and gun shows, Cabelas had it priced at $1,500 which at the time was about $300 less for a new one.
I do have an ongoing love affair with the Ruger #1. I collect them, shoot them and hunt with them.
Paul B.

I got a Ruger 1 in 45/70 which allows me to really load hot ammo that lever action and older rifles can't handle. I would never trade it for any Remington 700 so I figure you got the better deal.

I had one issue with my Ruger in that my Trijicon Accupoint would not adjust to center. I had my scope all the way adjusted to left and still could not get it centered. I found a replacement rail that allowed me to also use different rings in my situation with the heavy recoil it is an improvement over the existing Ruger rail and Ruger rings.
Here is the rail I use and it fixed my problem the 45/70 shoots dead on now.
https://www.egwguns.com/hd-ruger-no-1-picatinny-rail
If I were you I would first see if your setup is fine but if you have problems it could be the Ruger rail or rings causing the issue.

What a great looking rifle and in one of my favorite cartridges! (y)

No secret that I love the Ruger Number One, and I think the various iron-sight versions are my favorites. I've also had 1B and 1V versions with no sights, and they too worked great, especially that 1V in 25-06.... One of those rifles I still kick myself for selling.

Something that I've found over the years and five different Number One rifles is that scope eye-relief can be troublesome. Sometimes it's difficult to get the ocular end of the scope close enough to the shooter's eye. This can be dealt with a couple of ways, one is a scope with a longer ocular end piece. Another is Ruger's "offset" rings which allow the scope to be moved another 3/4" farther rearward.

Also, when shooting for groups, for max accuracy, I've found it beneficial to rest the forearm on the sandbags closer to the receiver instead of farther out towards the muzzle.

The Number One will shoot! Give it a chance. Find the right load, be patient, and let it happen. :)

Regards, Guy

Don't know much about those Ruger #1's but I know enough that I'd say that was a good trade! Good looking rifle.

Guy Miner":1irmbte9 said:
(y)

Something that I've found over the years and five different Number One rifles is that scope eye-relief can be troublesome. Sometimes it's difficult to get the ocular end of the scope close enough to the shooter's eye. This can be dealt with a couple of ways, one is a scope with a longer ocular end piece. Another is Ruger's "offset" rings which allow the scope to be moved another 3/4" farther rearward.

Regards, Guy

The rail that I posted above also allows for more movement of the scope forward or backward.

Back