Sako Rifles

ldg397

Handloader
Sep 27, 2007
Does anyone have any experience with Sako 75 and 85. Does anyone have an 85 that could give there impression? Is it worth the extra cost over the discounted 75's out there right now?

I had a couple of 75's and they were great rifles!

I shoot one in a 270WSM and so does a buddy of mine. I do not regret the extra $ I paid for it over the Rem 700 I was comparing against. Nothing wrong with the Rem 700, I own a few and just bought one for my son this week.

ldg,

I have a couple of laminated varmint 85's in 308 and 223. Nice rifles that I bought on look and feel as much as anything else. << Important criteria to me - I have to be able to like it. :)
I have only spent a few minutes with a 75 (as long as the 85 at the time), but got the impression that the differences are small and that the 85 is a tweaked version of its sibbling. I think that I would have been happy with either and finally it boiled down to availability.

Go with the gut. :)

Cheers

Well, I have 2 Sako 75's and each of my boys have 1. I have not found a single fault in them over the several years that we have had them. I don't think you will find a easier to adjust trigger, a smoother action or better factory shooters.

I don't know anything about the 85's but from what I read there are stock differences and recoil lug differences.

I doubt you could go wrong either way.

Long

The only thing I hated about my 300 RUM 75 was the weight. Other than that it was great!

I have a 75 in 300wm and I love it. Great trigger and the rifle is really accurate. I'm shooting 74 grains rl22 180 nab and getting consistant 1.250" groups at 400 yards. I've been having the rifle since the 75's came out, although I have one a little older than the ones that had problems with the steel.

Well, I have 2 Sako 75's and each of my boys have 1. I have not found a single fault in them over the several years that we have had them. I don't think you will find a easier to adjust trigger, a smoother action or better factory shooters.

I will echo Long's post... 8)

I have had Sako 75s in;
.300 Wby (MOA)
.300 WSM (MOA)
.7MM Rem Mag (sub MOA)
.7MM STW (sub MOA)
.270 WSM (MOA)
.308 Win (sub MOA)
.270 Win (Grey Wolf) the best! shot sub 0.025" groups with several different recipes... :shock:

I just cannot afford them anymore being retired...but they are awesome rifles! :grin:

Took my 85 to the range last weekend and shot a box of FACTORY 130gr BT's.Shot five 3 shot groups,the smallest was 3/8" and the largest was 3/4".Then I shot the last 5 for one group and it measured a little less than 1".In my opinion Sako makes THE best factory rifles period ! 8)

I sold my Sako 75 SS 7mm Rem to pay for a honeymoon. Wish I had that rifle back :) , but it was worth it. I sold a 22-250 sako forester taht was bedded and had an old K6 weaver on it in college, miss that one too. LOL, maybe I should stop selling guns if I like then.

I have not had a Sako that was not a quality gun, Not as fond of Tikka, but only had a T3 300 win SS. It was nice and lite, but not quite as well made. The rifle in general is not a sako, but for the money, well. for the money I'd buy a REmington or a Savage and maybe restock it with a $150 laminate stock from Richard's microfit. It would have a more custom feel and you could get the balance to fit you.

CC

Looks to me like the new Remingtons, CDL, are right up there price wise. I paid 800.00 for each of my Sako rifles which were both used, but less than 2 years old. Of course that was 5 years ago so I don't expect to find deals like that these days. Still, I'll stick with my Sako's.

Long

Sako 75, 85 are nice. My Sako TRG custom in 30-06 Ackley improved is a real shooter. I like sako and forgot to list them as a favorite of mine on an earlier thread. Nice made rifles. My first decent rifle was a Sako in 308.

Back