Salmonchaser goes to Africa

Welcome back SC. Looking forward to hearing more about your safari.

JD338

While I will probably never go to Africa with a rifle, but a Camara (I don't care about trophies, just meat), I love to read reports like this and accept and understand that others feel different. I loaded for quite a few people for their Namibia-Trips and was happy for them to have that experience.
Same here and looking forward to reading the full story!

Sounds like you guys had quite an eventful first day! I'm so glad to hear that Catherine's efforts to get her interpreters out of Afghanistan have finally paid off. It's always great to start a trip on a positive note. I hope the rest of your journey went smoothly. In regards to your flight, I recommend you to check out this website for great deals on business class flights. They can help you find the best prices for your journey and make your trip more comfortable. I think it might be useful to anyone who wants to travel anywhere in comfort. It's way easier to find a cheap ticket with this platform.

Last edited:
As I noted in another thread, the wife and I ran into the booking agent (Hal) for the safari operator (Allen Schenk Safaris) we had originally booked our 2018 trip that we had to cancel, at a recent gun show. They do a lot of safaris for school kids from Alberta - 70 kids over this past year alone!

Since COVID, prices have gotten better on many of the animals, including sable. They have also put together more packages so that you can take advantage of lower prices than just trophy fees plus day rates. Have been warned that prices on kudu (Cape and Southern Greater) have already jumped and sable will be going up too (currently almost half of what it was in 2018).
Had another long chat with him the other night.

We will be putting the deposit down this week for early March trip in 2024.
Susan will have a 5 day pkg for the Sable and a 5 day pkg for all 4 colour phases of springbok.
I will be looking at the 10 day pkg for the 4 spiral horns: cape kudu, eland, nyala and bushbuck. I will also be adding caracal to the list; apparently they are regularly hunted with hounds by workers on the farm, as they are hard on the sheep flocks that they also raise on the concession.
They just acquired another large property next to their main property that is supposed to be even better than their own, which has not been hunted to date, and has very good opportunities for stalking eland, kudu and nyala in the thicker brush for bowhunters, so I will be packing the recurve in case I get an opportunity (long shots of about 30 yards) fo a nyala with the bow, and for the caracal in a tree.

Looking to take 2 rifles: my lh Sako in 338 Federal, and Susan has decided that she had so much fun with the lh Browning X Bolt in 6.5 CM that she wants to use it in the Africa too. I hope I am not about to lose possession of this rifle!:rolleyes:
Wasn't too sure about the Creedmoor for sable, but he assured me it would be just fine at the distances we will be shooting. The Owner's son has been slaying kudu and other similar sized antelope with a 6.5 CM and the 143 gr ELD-X ammo that Hal left there in 2018. So the tougher 130 gr Terminal Ascent bullet should work just fine (as we experienced on the red stag, fallow buck and arapawa rams on our recent New Zealand trip). Apparently sable aren't quite as large or hardy as kudu...I guess we will find out!
The 338 w/ 210 gr Partitions will be for the eland.
I had thought about taking my LH Sako Hunters in 6.5x55 and 9.3x62, but Susan prefers the weight of the X Bolt over the Sako.

Looks like flights will be from Edmonton to Joberg, via Amsterdam of Frankfurt, and then to Port Elizabeth.

Thinking of European mounts for the sable, eland and kudu and shoulder mounts for the nyala and bushbuck. Susan will decide later on shoulder mounts and/or European mounts for the springbok. Probably a tubed skin for the caracal to hang beside my lynx.

Starting to get excited about this adventure again!:cool:

2024 will be here before you know it.
Teri and I fly out June 11th, it can’t get here soon enough!
Sounds like you have some good animals to hunt, best of luck!
Hope you have a great adventure!
Where are you going and what is on your list?

Seems like time just trickles by while waiting for hunt dates to approach, and then before you know it, you are winging your way across the ocean on your adventure.
And before you are ready, the trip is over and you are back home, saying I can't believe we did it!
Looking at the pictures helps relive the memories and proves that you really did get there, and do that! 😁
Can't wait!!!

P.S. Also planning the return trip to New Zealand! LOL
Have sika deer, rusa deer and sambar on the list for the next trip, and finally found an outfitter that can do all 3!(Outfitter we just went with does not have the ability for these, but I will return to hunt fallow deer with them again! Hope to take my daughter on that trip!

We are hunting in the Limpopo area about 2 1/2 hours north of Joberg.
Teri has
Zebra
Impala
Blesbok
Wildebeest
Warthog

I’m hoping for a couple cull cow Buffalo and we will check the money situation lol.
It’s been 24 years since my last trip over, I’m beyond excited.

Hope you have a great adventure!
Where are you going and what is on your list?

Seems like time just trickles by while waiting for hunt dates to approach, and then before you know it, you are winging your way across the ocean on your adventure.
And before you are ready, the trip is over and you are back home, saying I can't believe we did it!
Looking at the pictures helps relive the memories and proves that you really did get there, and do that! 😁
Can't wait!!!

P.S. Also planning the return trip to New Zealand! LOL
Have sika deer, rusa deer and sambar on the list for the next trip, and finally found an outfitter that can do all 3!(Outfitter we just went with does not have the ability for these, but I will return to hunt fallow deer with them again! Hope to take my daughter on that trip!
A Rusa deer is an awesome animal, besure to post your pictures and hunt details

Back