savage 22hp

eas02

Beginner
Nov 10, 2006
Just picke up a savage model 1899 in 22hp for $70. Trying to find bullets cant find any. Anybody know where i can get brass and dies for this thing or some reloading data thanks. I want to shoot this little gun

:grin: Very neat old rifle you've got there! Rotating brass magazine and all? You made one heck of a deal on it for $70! :grin:

I'm familiar with the old rifles - grew up with one. Ammo and loading supplies are limited as it's been obsolete since the 1930's and takes a .227 or .228" bullet...

Hornady actually lists dies, but by the metric designation 5.6x52R (same cartridge, European designation)

Norma still produces the brass - you can get it at Graf & Sons, Inc.
Hornady makes a .227", 70 grain soft point bullet for it.

Norma and Canadian Industries Limited both used to make ammo for it, and time to time a fellow can find old factory ammo. I don't think anyone makes ammo for it anymore. I hadn't bought any since the 1970s, but ran across a box of Norma factory ammo within the past couple of years. Maybe they still make it?

Old loading manuals have some data and I'd be happy to share what I have. Most loads have a 70 grain bullet moving at about 2800 fps, duplicating factory ballistics.

Have fun with your new toy. Seventy bucks? You scored! :grin:

The 5.6x52R is the same carridge as the 22 HP and is still loaded in Europe bt RWS and Norma . Both companies also offer brass for handloading. There is data for it in the VihtaVuori #3 manual and The Hornady books where it is listed by its European designation. the proper bullet diameter is .227" and they are offered by Hornady. I am not sure if data or components are offered any other place off hand but this should get you started.

Good Luck :)

Yes it has the brass counter and rotary magazine in it. How strong are these rifles can i load the rounds up pretty strong?

Oh, they're okay for strength - but they're old - collector's rifles - I never saw any point in loading 'em up real hot. Factory level is fine, 70 grainer at about 2800 fps - compares favorably with some other, newer .22 centerfires.

The old guns are lots of fun to shoot - but if I want a hotrod cartridge I'll use a newer bolt action!

Regards, Guy

I only bought the gun becouse i wanted a model 99 i really want a 308 . I bought the gun off a 75yo man whos wifes father just died and he doesnt like guns and just wanted them gone. I got the 22hp and a 1903 sporterised springfield off him. The 99 also has lyman sites on it. I just resell it or try to trade the 22hp for a 308 but i thougth it would be cool to shoot it. Do you know how to look up the sn# or what there worth?

I only bought the gun becouse i wanted a model 99 i really want a 308 . I bought the gun off a 75yo man whos wifes father just died and he doesnt like guns and just wanted them gone. I got the 22hp and a 1903 sporterised springfield off him. The 99 also has lyman sites on it. I just resell it or try to trade the 22hp for a 308 but i thougth it would be cool to shoot it. Do you know how to look up the sn# or what there worth?

eas02":2jw5bmce said:

You might want to think about geting rid of it right away. You stole the rifle at $70, look here........... :shock:
http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=60433646

Exactly - with the minimal amount of money you've got tied up in it - you could make several hundred bucks selling it to a collector. Those old brass rotary mag Savages are worth some bucks...

They are fun to shoot - but ya can't just go down to the neighborhood hardware store and pick up ammo for it, like a fellow can with a .223 or something...

Keep it or sell it - either way it's a neat old gun. Regards, Guy

Back